Do we need to keep "Passwords" ?

Options
SimonHampel
SimonHampel
Community Member

Having been a 1Password user for nearly 10 years now, I have a lot of data in my vaults, including nearly 500 entries of the "Passwords" category.

Most of these were converted to logins and so are not really required - but they remain in the system, sometimes getting in the way and creating clutter when searching for things.

I have one site which forces pasword changes regularly, so I'm currently at nearly 40 "Passwords" for that site - none of which are actually meaningful anymore.

My question is - is there value in keeping these passwords that have been converted to logins? Is there a purpose to them other than to show the history of password changes?

Can I safely delete these Password entries - or is there value in keeping some or all of them?

Under what circumstances would I NOT want to delete a Password? (I'm guessing if one of them does not have a corresponding Login is one example)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Zaka7
    Zaka7
    Community Member
    Options

@SimonHampel Hiya,

I would personally just archive them. No need to delete and then they will be out of the way of searches etc. Best of both worlds.

Is there any reason you have a website though that's a Password and not a Log in anyway? you could convert them all, and then whenever you have to change your password on that site, the history is saved within the item itself rather than creating a new item each time?

• Hi @SimonHampel,

Along with archiving the items, if you're using the password generator to generate and save these passwords and then manually changing the password within the login item, you can locate the previous password within the item itself using the item history.

This discussion has been closed.