To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Passkeys are Great! But for 1Password itself???

Options
Zaka7
Zaka7
Community Member
edited May 2023 in Memberships

Hi All,

I've been mulling this over for a while and just cannot grasp it so would love if someone from 1PW could help. I actually think I asked this around the time I first read the announcement. But strangely the post seems to have disappeared...

So Passkeys, as a security geek and someone trying to get people more secure online, (which includes almost forcing everyone I know to use 1 Password) I think they're great. Everything about them is 100x better in terms of ease of use, phishing resistance and security.

Now whilst I think that for all my accounts. The thing I cannot get is why it would be offered or even be beneficial to use a Passkey for 1 Password itself? Surely this is less practical / secure than having a traditional password and hardware security key set up as I do now? It also makes any data legacy set ups more difficult if devices perish with you (morbid I know) As I assume an emergency kit couldn't exist with Passkeys?

The other reason I think this is that it's almost certain the device I use to store said passkey, will be an Apple device, Now my Apple device details are stored within 1 Password. Isn't this like putting the keys to the safe inside a locked safe? I just can't get my head around it so am basically looking for others opinions on this one :)

For now at least I think i've convinced myself that passkey are a must, but that my 1PW account itself will remain completely as is.

Thoughts and opinions greatly appreciated :)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

This discussion has been closed.