Mac beta 8.10.7 (81007001) introduced severe bug, keeps crashing/closing

Options

Hi,

ever since I updated to 8.10.7, the 1P app does not stay active in the background when closing the window. I notice it immediately because the browser extension locks itself down when I close 1P desktop (as if there was no connection to the desktop app). When opening 1P again, it asks for my master password, and immediately closes the window upon entering the password. I have to re-open it 2-3 times before it finally stays open. Only to "crash" again when I close the window. Rinse and repeat.

As a workaround, I have to keep the 1P window open at all times.

Since this appeared immediately after updating to 8.10.7, it's most likely not a local issue with my computer, but a bug introduced in the new version.

1Password Version: 8.10.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 13.3.1
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @cryptochrome! 👋

I'm sorry to hear that the 1Password app isn't staying open on your Mac. Can you double-check the following:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    2. Click on 1Password next to the  in the menu bar.
    3. Click on Settings.
    4. Click on General.
    5. Make sure that "Keep 1Password in the menu bar" is turned on.

Once this option is turned on are you still able to reproduce the issue? If you are, or if the option was already turned on, then can you restart your Mac to see if that improves the situation?

-Dave

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P,

I can confirm the issue goes away when I turn on the menu bar icon. As soon as I disable it, the issue returns. So it must be related to that option.

I will keep it enabled for now.

Thanks

• Dave_1P
    Options

@cryptochrome

Thank you for the reply. For now, you'll need to keep "Keep 1Password in the menu bar" turned on for the 1Password app to continue running in the background after the main window is closed. While I can't promise anything specifically, our developers are looking into refining this behaviour for the future and providing more options for those who'd like to see 1Password stay open but not visible in the menubar.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#9557

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P I don't think this is just a feature/design issue. Have you read the part where I have to re-open the app multiple times because it automatically closes again as soon as I enter the master password?

1. Open 1P
    2. Enter Master
    3. Window immediately closes
    4. Rinse and repeat

It finally stays open after 2-3 attempts. Note that the window closes automatically, unwanted, without me clicking the close button.

Just flagging this piece again because that sure as hell is a bug :)

• Dave_1P
    Options

@cryptochrome

I'm sorry for misunderstanding. I can reproduce that issue myself if try to unlock 1Password from the browser extension while using my account password. But I can still unlock the desktop app if I launch it from the Applications folder and not from the browser. Alternatively, unlocking 1Password using Touch ID (instead of the account password) also avoids the issue.

And the issue does not occur if "Keep 1Password in the menu bar" is enabled (although the main window does close after 1Password is unlocked which is an existing known issue).

Is this the same behaviour that you're seeing on your end? I'm filing an internal work item for the bug so that our developers can investigate further and I'll add your report there.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#17554

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P - yep, pretty much the same behavior under the same conditions here. It's almost like it crashes (but it doesn't, the processes are still running).

Thanks for getting this filed!

If you guys need anything, like logs, shoot me a message.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@cryptochrome

Thank you again for reporting the issue. If our developers do need any other information from your end then we'll make sure to reach out. Hopefully this will be fixed soon. 🙂

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#22007

• Dave_1P
    edited January 23
    Options

@cryptochrome

I hope that you're doing well! Our developers have incorporated improvements to the unlocking process with the latest update to 1Password that should resolve the issue that you reported here. Can you update to the latest version (8.10.24) and try to reproduce the issue again:

If you still see the issue after updating and restarting 1Password then please let me know.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#22007

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @Dave_1P

I had actually completely forgotten about this. So, the fix you implemented now doesn't seem to have any effect on the behavior described back in March.

I just updated to 8.10.24, made sure my browser extension is also up to date, disabled the 1P menu bar item and closed the 1P window. The browser extension immediately lost its connection to 1P (lock symbol on the icon) and all 1Password processes quit, with the exception of the 1P crash handler and the 1P browser helper.

When re-opening 1P desktop, it asks me for my master password, indicating further that it completely shut down on the window close event.

So from my perspective, nothing has changed.

This is not super important to me anymore, as the workaround (enable the 1P menu bar item) works fine and doesn't bother me (thank god for Bartender).

• @cryptochrome

On behalf of Dave you're welcome.

Thank god for Bartender

Haha I'm right there with you.

Mind if I ask which browser you're using? I saw an improvement with the update. Back when you opened this you were using 13.3.1 what OS version are you using now? I'm not sure that has an bearing. If you'd rather not pursue this then no worries.

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @ag_tommy

I am using Chrome (currently 121.0.6167.75) and I am on macOS 14.2.1 (23C71). 1P browser extension sits on 2.19.0 (21900005, on STABLE channel)).

Let me know if you need anything else. Happy to help!

• @cryptochrome

The only thing I notice is I am on 14.3 and you're on 14.2.1. If you have a chance and you're ready to update you might give that a try. Other than that all looks the same. Haha, if I had noticed I would have put it together with your handle. I just got a good DOH! moment out of it.

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy I have planned to upgrade my machine to 14.3 over the weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

• Sounds good.