Email autofill on Ghost.io isn't working (iOS and Mac desktop)

Options
Nick K
Nick K
Community Member
edited May 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

I have a Ghost.io account and a 1Password item linked to the domain. When I try to use the "Passwords" feature from the iOS keyboard, the item for the Ghost.io account doesn't show up. The domain that appears is "about:srcdoc", which is obviously not site-specific. But I gamely added a website of "about:srcdoc"… and I still don't see my Ghost.io item offered for autofill.

When I instead try to sign in on Firefox desktop, the 1Password plugin does indeed recognize the domain. But when I bring up the Sign In dialog, then 1Password's item and press "Autofill," nothing happens. (It should fill in the email address and let Ghost.io send me a sign-in link.)

Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong, or if I can give you more information that will let you reproduce the issue. As of now, Ghost.io seems not to work with 1Password at all, except via manual copy/paste. :-/

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.6 (81006027)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.6.2 / iOS 16.4.1 (a)
Browser:_ Firefox (Mac) / Safari (iOS)
Referrer: forum-search:Email autofill on Ghost.io isn't working

Comments

• Nick K
    Nick K
    Community Member
    edited May 2023
    Options

To be clear, because this was suggested in this other thread: when I go through the "New Item" process for the "about:srcdoc" domain on iOS, a new item appears in 1Password, and I can search for it in the 1Password and find it on both platforms. But when I return to my Ghost.io page and try to actually use it, 1Password again fails to list the new item from the "Passwords" UI.

• GreyM1P
    Options

Hi there @Nick K

From what you described, it sounds like Ghost.io are either using some sort of inline web page to sign you in or haven't set their Associated Domain correctly – either way, it shouldn't start with about:, since the Associated Domain is the website address linked to an app. For example, twitter.com in the case of the Twitter app.

Typically when you autofill on iOS, here's what happens:

1. You tap the "🔑 Passwords" button on the keyboard.
    2. iOS inspects the Associated Domain of the app.
    3. iOS's Password AutoFill system asks 1Password if it has any Logins where the website field matches the Associated Domain.
    4. 1Password returns those results as suggestions in the pop-up.

Because the Associated Domain isn't what you (or we!) would expect, iOS doesn't know what to ask 1Password for, and so 1Password can't provide results, which is why you'll have to copy and paste. That would be something that only the Ghost.io app developers can fix, as it's part of how the app is written and built. In this case, I'd advise contacting them through the "App Support" link in their App Store listing to give them your feedback.

I hope that helps explain what's happening. Let me know if you have any questions or need any help. :)

— Grey

• Nick K
    Nick K
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the quick response Grey. I am not sure it’s helpful in this case, though, because as I understand it AD is about linking apps and domains. In my case, however, there IS no app. I’m using a website and attempting to get 1P to autofill using the site’s domain.

Why isn’t it simply using the site’s domain to run the search? This could easily be a Ghost.io problem in the end, but I feel I need to understand a little better what the problem actually is before I ask them to implement any sort of fix.

• Nick K
    Nick K
    Community Member
    Options

It looks like the problem is probably Ghost.io’s use of a srcdoc attribute in an iframe.

• Nick K
    Nick K
    Community Member
    Options

So this explains why 1Password doesn't successfully fill in the field using Autofill on macOS. And it might explain why iOS can't find the domain. But macOS can find the domain, it just can't Autofill. Why the difference in behavior?

macOS 1Password extension finding a password suggestion given the domain

• GreyM1P
    Options

@Nick K

On iOS, we can only rely on the domain that's passed to 1Password by iOS's Password AutoFill system . If the password field is in an iframe or something similar, Password AutoFill might not be able to report the correct domain to 1Password, which sounds like it's what's happening in this case – both on iOS, and why 1Password in the browser isn't able to fill.

The reason that 1Password in the browser is able to detect the domain correctly is because it's referencing the address bar. The same thing would happen with the 1Password Safari extension on iOS (you'd see it in the ⚛️ Suggestions, like in your screenshot), although it sounds like it would have similar trouble autofilling if the field is in an iframe.

This discussion has been closed.