Can a new family organizer remove the (original) account holder?

Options
red_phoenix
red_phoenix
Community Member

I want to setup a new family organizer. This obviously should be considered wisely. Now I'm wondering if there's anything there to ensure the original account holder cannot be removed (neither accidentally, nor on purpose)?

Are there any mechanisms in place that would also notify all family organizers via email of any riskier setting changes?

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Can a new family organizer remove the (original) account holder?

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

Every family organizer is equal to any other family organizer. That includes adding and removing the family organizer role. So yes, a newly promoted family organizer is able to downgrade the original account holder to member and even delete his account.

• red_phoenix
    red_phoenix
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Tertius, seems like a "feature" that's needed to prevent this from happening and further protect the account. And/or setup security notifications if these things are being triggered.

Is there a way to tag 1PW staff members for comment and/or feature requests?

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

As far as I remember, this topic is known to 1Password. It was said the situation is not optimal, and one should join a family account only with people they trust. It was said this app behavior is kind of inherited from the design of team accounts, where such situation cannot arise. A family account is internally a renamed and only slightly modified team account. In a business environment, the company (represented by the organizer) is the owner of the data, not an individual employee. For family accounts, each member is the owner of his data. This is completely different between family and team accounts: in a business environment, the company wants to make sure deleted data becomes inaccessible by the former user immediately, and this was implemented, while for a deleted family member account you might want to convert it to a standalone account, so the data stays accessible by the owner, but this was not implemented.
    However, nothing has been changed with this since I'm using a family account (since 2 years).

• Hi @red_phoenix,

Thank you @Tertius3 for jumping in with your knowledge, it's appreciated!

Currently, any designated family organizers on a 1Password Families account have a significant amount of control over the account. Family organizers are not able to access the contents of other family member's Private vaults, but they can access any user-created vault on the account (this include vaults created by another family organizer). They also have the ability to suspend or delete family members, including deleting all their data, even the Private vault.

Because of the power granted to family organizers, I strongly recommend that you only join a family account with/grant the role of family organizer to very close family members that you trust. If a customer's family situation is such that they are not certain their data will be safe with these permissions in the hands of the family organizers, I would suggest they instead create an individual account where they have full control of their own data.

• @OlivierP,

I've passed your feedback along!

This discussion has been closed.