How to turn off "Save in 1Password" message?

Options
Newbie2018
Newbie2018
Community Member
edited May 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

I am using 1P on Mac. After 1P autofills the user ID and password fields for a website, a 1P message appears asking if I want to "save in 1Password". The sign-on credentials already are stored in my 1P, so I'm not sure why this message appears. It just started to appear a few days ago, but now does so consistently. How do I turn it off? Thx.

1Password Version: 8.10.6
Extension Version: 16.4
OS Version: 13.3.1
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• Hey @Newbie2018,

Can you point me at a website you are experiencing this behaviour on? In addition can you send over a screenshot of the 'Save in 1Password' prompt you are seeing?

1Password should only offer to save credentials on a website if the credentials entered are not already saved in your 1Password so I'd like to take a closer look at what is happening here.

Thank you.

• Hi @Newbie2018 ,

Thanks for providing those details. I've taken a look and was only able to reproduce this behaviour when I started to type. Can you confirm if you're typing at any point before seeing the "Save in 1Password" option, or if this is immediately happening after autofilling?

• Newbie2018
    Newbie2018
    Community Member
    Options

The message does not appear before I start to type. If I manually fill in a field, the message appears immediately after I type the first letter of a user ID or password.

In case it's relevant, when I use autofill I do so in the following manner:
    1. I open the 1P app on Mac, locate the sign-on item, and click on Open and fill in the website URL field.
    2. Once the website comes up in Safari, I do Command-\ (command key + backslash key) to populate the user ID and password fields from 1P. Once populated, the Save in 1Password message immediately appears.
    3. I ignore the message and press RETURN to continue with the sign-on.

• Hi @Newbie2018, thanks for sharing those additional details!

You mentioned that you're clicking "Open & Fill" in the 1Password for Mac desktop app and then using the Command + \ shortcut to fill. Clicking "Open & Fill" should be opening your default browser (Safari in this case) to the website and filling in your credentials automatically. I have a few questions in this case:

• Are the fields on this page remaining empty after clicking "Open & Fill"?
    • If the fields are empty, what happens if you don't use the Autofill shortcut and instead click in the username field immediately after "Open & Fill" opens to the login page?
    • Does the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar appear with a small black lock icon on top of it when your browser opens to the page?
  • Newbie2018
    Newbie2018
    Community Member
    Options

I can confirm that when I click "open and fill", 1P opens the Safari browser but does not autofill the fields. That's why I do Command + Backslash. In response to your questions:

1. Yes, the fields remain blank.
    2. If I position the cursor within the username field, a small box appears (from 1P) suggesting the login item to be used for autofill. If I click on that box, 1P autofills the fields.
    3. No 1P icon appears in my toolbar. Attached below is what I see if I look at the 1P extension in Safari > Settings > Extensions.

A further FYI: If I click on the Save in 1Password message after doing Command + Backslash, a new 1P window appears asking if I want to update the 1P login item in question. So 1P does know which login item it is looking for. 1P does not ask me to create a new login item.

• Hey @Newbie2018,

The behaviour you are describing indeed seems interesting.

I notice you say you do not have a 1Password icon in your browser toolbar but I see it is enabled in your screenshot above. Can you follow these steps to add 1Password to your toolbar: If you don't see the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar.

Next, can you try clicking on this icon in your toolbar, locate the item and then try using open and fill from here and let me know if the behaviour differs?

Let us know how you get on.

• Newbie2018
    Newbie2018
    Community Member
    Options

I followed the above steps and now have the 1P icon in the Safari toolbar. I clicked on the icon, selected autofill, and all worked ok. The Save in 1Password did not appear.

So do I just need to give up on the Command + Backslash approach and adopt a new way of working with 1P, or is there still an issue that needs investigating?

• Thanks for getting back to me @Newbie2018.

It should also work as you have described if you use the shortcut to fill, can you give it a try and let me know how you get on?

• Newbie2018
    Newbie2018
    Community Member
    Options

The issue is still there. I've just learned to live with it. If there is a new solution, pls let me know. Thx.

• Hey @Newbie2018,

Can you confirm that Open and Fill from the 1Password app is opening the page and also filling the fields?

As for filling with the shortcut, the autofill behavior is not coming from 1Password in the browser (the extension) and it is instead coming from Universal Autofill which is part of the 1Password app. The extension doesn't know when Universal Autofill fills details and just sees text typed into a field and it could be that a different app is typing that in. That's why the inline menu still shows the "Save in 1Password" option.

I hope this helps to provide some explanation, let us know if you have any questions.

This discussion has been closed.