Assess and adjust prospective password strength

Options
jonathanbryan
jonathanbryan
Community Member
edited May 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

How can I assess the strength of a password I want to put into use and adjust until very strong?

1Password Version: 1Password for Windows 8.10.6 (81006027)
Extension Version: Version 2.10.0
OS Version: win11
Browser:_ firefox
Referrer: forum-search:How can I assess the strength of a password I want to put into use and adjust until very strong?

Comments

• GreyM1P
    Options

Hi there @jonathanbryan

By default, 1Password will suggest Smart Passwords – that is, passwords which comply with the requirements of the website you're on. If the website doesn't include its rules in its code, 1Password will suggest a Random Password instead, usually 20 characters long, and Numbers and Symbols turned on. A 20-character Random Password including numbers and symbols will max out the password strength meter.

You can see how strong 1Password's suggested passwords are by opening the Password Generator:

1. Click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar.
    2. Click the (≡) three-line menu > 🔑 Password Generator.
    3. Use the ⟳ Regenerate button to generate new passwords.
      ☞ Change the recipe if you like by changing the Type from Smart Password to something else then adjust the options below
    4. The coloured bar below the generated password will grow or shrink, and change colour, to show you the current strength of the generated password.

In short: you almost never need to worry about how strong the suggested password will be, because the defaults are strong anyway, but you can change settings to your liking if you prefer.

Hope that helps. We'll be here if you need anything.

— Grey

This discussion has been closed.