To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Can 1Password staff identify the relationship between multiple accounts?

Options
Rentaro
Rentaro
Community Member
edited May 2023 in Memberships

Dear Support Team,

I am writing to inquire about the following matter regarding my 1Password accounts. I currently hold two separate 1Password accounts. I access these accounts using the 1Password 8 App for Windows and Google Chrome extension, registering both accounts within the app and extension using the "Add Account" feature.

Under the aforementioned setup, I would like to understand if the service operators of 1Password are able to determine any relationship between these two accounts (such as being managed by the same individual, etc.) based on IP address, device serial number, unique app/extention identifier, or something like that?

Out of the following three options, could you please clarify which one is the correct understanding:

1. The operators of 1Password are aware of the relationship between the two accounts and have internal tagging or similar mechanisms to identify the connection.
  2. The operators of 1Password have the technical capability to determine the relationship between the two accounts but have no specific interest in doing so, therefore, they do not ascertain any relationship.
  3. Due to encryption and anonymization measures, even the operators of 1Password are unable to determine any relationship between the two accounts.

I would appreciate it if you could provide clarification on this matter.

Thank you for your attention to this inquiry.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.10.0
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser:_ Chrome
Referrer: forum-search:multiple account managed by the same person

Comments

• Hi @Rentaro,

In order to offer the 1Password service we must collect certain metadata about our customers.

In addition, as part of our obligation to protect our service from misuse, attacks, and abuse we collect various logs about user activities. Our commitment to privacy, means we limit the amount of metadata we collect and who within the company has access to it. If you would like to know more about the unencrypted data we collect and store please see our Security Design whitepaper.

We do have the ability to correlate logs to identify and prevent potential misuse and abuse.

I've also included an informative blog post: https://blog.1password.com/what-we-dont-know-about-you/

This discussion has been closed.