To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Confusion re Emergency Kit and Account Recovery

Options
trubane
trubane
Community Member
edited May 2023 in Memberships

Hi,

I'm not clear whether a 1Password account can be recovered solely with the secret key from the Emergency Kit, or would they also need the account password? If the latter, then I guess you would need to print out a new emergency kit every time you change your account password? If that's the case, it seems like the instructions could be a little more clear on that point.

Thanks,
Tom

1Password Version: 8.10.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 13.3.1(a)
Browser:_ Arc
Referrer: forum-search:emergency kit

Comments

• Hi @trubane,

You are not able to recover an account using only the Secret Key, you would need the account password and/or access to the 1Password app on a device via biometrics or a family organizer to recover the account for you, if you are part of a family account.

No information about your account password is sent to us. We cannot reset it for you and you cannot change it without entering the old one. There is also no "back door" to access your data without the account password. Nor do we have any information about your account password we could use to help you find it. If there were, that would be a security hole that could be exploited to gain access to your secure information - this way, no one, not even someone at 1Password, can read your secure data.

• trubane
    trubane
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply. I'm an estate planning attorney and trying to understand how best my clients could use 1Password to transfer account info after their deaths.

• @trubane,

We don't have any specific features for giving access to your account if you should pass but there is something you can do if you wanted to provide access to all of your items should it occur. Firstly, you can create a physical copy of your Emergency Kit with all of the details required to access your account and keep this as part of your will or stored in a known safe place so it can be given to a family member.

Another option would be that as you mentioned that you currently have a Family membership, if you're the organiser you can make someone else the organiser as well who can gain access to your account if you should pass though you'll need to also create a shared vault for just you and them with your email log in item as they would need access to your emails in order to regain access to your account.

For more information on account recovery you can find it here:

https://support.1password.com/family-recovery-plan/
    https://support.1password.com/recovery/

This discussion has been closed.