DropBox or iCloud?

2»

Comments

• doug316
    doug316
    Community Member
    edited December 2013

I just noticed all the apps I had connected to DropBox (including 1Password) had access to all my dropbox files. I have revoked all permissions for that reason. I'm not sure if this is a DropBox API limitation, but I'll wait until it's restricted to a single folder.

• Hi @doug316,

The main reason is because it allows the app to store and access your data files anywhere in your Dropbox folder, not isolated to a sandboxed folder, which you cannot share with other folks at the moment.

There's a good chance that we may not be able to use Dropbox's Apps APIs in the future for 1Password because of this. With the multiple vaults, many folks are storing the vaults in various folders in their Dropbox folder, so that they can share it with their family, friends, and co-workers. The Apps APIs may not be able to make that possible, restricting it to match the iCloud type of restrictions, where you can only use one vault to store everything without sharing with other folks.

Dropbox is always working on improving their APIs, so we'll see how it turns out.

• brabin
    brabin
    Community Member

A bit of an old thread here, I know, but I'm interested in knowing what can and cannot be done using Bittorrent Sync, and if there is any progress by agilebits to make this one of the default sync options, as easy as choosing to use Dropbox or iCloud. The ability to avoid cloud storage entirely and maintain syncing between all OS X and iOS devices, but without relying on wifi sync only, would be truly awesome.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

I use Dropbox, but it seems like iCloud would be nice for me also. I just use an iPad and iPhone and that's all, but I wanted a back up so I use Dropbox. Now correct me if I am wrong. For instance if I get a new iPhone, set it up, and put 1Password on it, it will sync up all my data since 1Password is on my iPad. So as long as I don't get an iPad and iPhone at the same time, and set them both up as new, I shouldn't have to worry about losing my data, right? (I hope this made sense)

• Grunt_at_the_Point
    Grunt_at_the_Point
    Community Member

Glad I read this thread. I've heard 1PasswordAnywhere mention once and I did not understand what the hell it was. Now I know it is related to Dropbox. I'm syncing via iCloud and will continue to use that method.

• Hi @brabin,

Thanks for your question and adding your support to the request for BitTorrent sync support. While we can't directly discuss our future plans, we are aware of the request for a non-cloud based sync service outside of Wifi. I cannot make any promises, however.

@prime, you are correct! If you get a new iPhone, you can simply point it at the same data file in Dropbox and you should be good to go. Even if you were to get a new iPhone and iPad at the same time, as long as you point both at the same data file, then you shouldn't run into any trouble.

@Grunt_at_the_Point‌ I'm glad this thread helped you! If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@Meek‌ Will this idea also work with iCloud sycn too, if I don't use Dropbox? My issue is with drop box is my password for drop box is in 1Password.

• @prime Yes indeed! As long as you are using the same Apple ID on each device, they each should find your data on iCloud and pull it in.

• dsm363
    dsm363
    Community Member

I have all iOS and Mac products and no plans to move outside Macs at least. I've been using Dropbox syncing. Would you recommend switching over to iCloud sync? Things seem to work the way they are (occasional issues) but wondering if switching over was worth it. Thanks.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited June 2014

@dsm363 - This may be way more than you want, so ignore if it is.

I can only reflect my own experience, but I also am entirely within the Apple system for my 1Password use. I've used both iCloud and Dropbox, and I have switched back and forth more than once. Both solutions have been equally reliable in my experience. There is a possibility that Apple could decide at some future time to limit access to iCloud only to applications purchased from Apple channels, so AgileBits recommends that users who want to be sure they can always use iCloud to purchase from the Mac App Store. I'm more worried about that actually happening since the announcements of iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite than I was before, but that's only a concern, not a reality.

iCloud syncing is marginally faster than Dropbox, and at least for now, iCloud is using AgileBits's newest format for the database, which has some security enhancements that the Dropbox format doesn't have. Dropbox will eventually get that version, but not until all of their supported platforms are up to handling it. I personally am not worried about those differences, but there are users here who are worried, and there is a clunky method available to convert your Dropbox syncing to the new format in OS X. The process to do that is described here. Dropbox also permits using 1PasswordAnywhere to gain read-only access to your data from any web browser. You can't do that with iCloud, at least at present. And you would lose 1PasswordAnywhere if you convert Dropbox to the newer data format, at least until the developers can move it into the new format.

I made my purchase from the AglieBits web site, but if it turns out that I should get closed out of iCloud for that reason, I have confidence that there would be a way worked out by AgileBits to let me switch.

To summarize, I don't think it makes a great deal of difference which solution you use at the present time. But there will be others who will disagree, probably on both sides of the fence. Naturally! ;)

• dsm363
    dsm363
    Community Member

Thanks. I'll just leave it on Dropbox and wait for the rollout I guess. It's working so no need to rock the boat.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good, @dsm363.

If you have other questions we're here to help. :)

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member

IMO there is a legal disadvantage to iCloud sync compared to Dropbox sync, at least under the current iCloud terms of service. Here is the worrisome paragraph:

No Right of Survivorship

>

You agree that your Account is non-transferable and that any rights to your Apple ID or Content within your Account terminate upon your death. Upon receipt of a copy of a death certificate your Account may be terminated and all Content within your Account deleted. Contact iCloud Support at www.apple.com/support/icloud for further assistance.

One important business purpose of this provision is to ensure that all rights to digital media and apps purchased from Apple terminate upon the death of the purchaser. However, the definition of Content in the iCloud Terms and Conditions includes user-generated content as well as purchased content.

Apple advises users to maintain backups of everything stored in iCloud. It is particularly important to do this If you are syncing with iCloud and using 1Password as part of your Emergency Plan, because your heirs and your executor cannot access your iCloud data after your passing without violating the iCloud terms of service. In practice, this means making sure that all of the important people know how to locate and access your 1Password data on mobile devices, computers, backup drives and services, etc. If you purchased your copy of 1Password from the iTunes store or the Mac App Store, there is the additional issue that, under the Mac App Store and App Store Product Usage Rules and Apple’s Licensed Application EULA, your license is personal and non-transferrable, and other people (including other 1Password licensees) may not have the lawful right to use your 1Password app on your devices.

This discussion has been closed.