All logins from the app correctly appear in the browser extension, but none are usable

My coworkers and I are happily using 1Password 8 at work. We have accounts managed by our corporate IT, we use a shared vault, etc, and all that works quite well. We also have a centrally-managed version of Firefox ESR that gets a new version pushed out to our workstations every so often.

Trying to get the 1Pass app and the browser to integrate has been frustrating. Installing the browser extension went smoothly. Linking it to the running background program went smoothly. (Also did the restart of both programs, eventually a full reboot, etc, to no avail.)

• The 1Password icon appears in the browser toolbar. All of the accounts are correctly shown when clicking the icon, and all of the Logins entries are correctly shown from any given account.
  • icon -> hamburger -> Settings... -> Autofill -> "Offer to fill and save" is turned on.
  • Going to a site like https://us-east-2.signin.aws/platform/login, it doesn't autofill anything. There is the 1Password icon in the username field...
  • ...but clicking it displays "No items to show".
  • While on that page, clicking the toolbar icon and selecting any of the already-saved Logins does not show an Autofill button.

Here's where it gets extra frustrating:

• If I give up on 1Password and just type out a gibberish username into that webpage field, 1Password will offer to save it.
  • Saving it along with a password does correctly store the new (bogus) entry into the Logins shown when clicking the browser toolbar icon.
  • The new gibberish entry also correctly gets synched to the 1Password Windows app running in the background.
  • On subsequent visits to the same URL, that new entry is the only one suggested when clicking the 1Password icon in the username field, and is the only one in the full Logins list (from toolbar icon clicking) with an Autofill button.

And finally, if I edit the new entry in the app and remove the saved website URL, then the new entry's status reverts to that of all the other previously saved Logins, in that it stops being autosuggested and doesn't allow a manual button Autofill.

So... we're not going through and manually pasting in all possible URLs for each of around a hundred Logins. How do we simply get the browser extension to just show the list of Logins when the text field icon is clicked? Or even just show the Autofill button in the full dropdown list?

1Password Version: 8.10.6
Extension Version: 2.10.0
OS Version: Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2 19045
Browser:_ Firefox 102.11 ESR

Comments

• Hey @verytiredsysadmin,

I'm sorry for the trouble you are having with 1Password in your browser and I appreciate the level of detail you have provided.

From your description, you're right it does sounds like the behaviour you are seeing is related to the website URL that is saved within the item. The item needs to contain the exact URL for the login page for 1Password to know where to fill the credentials.

If you add the saved website URL to the item you would expect to see on this page does 1Password offer to fill it as expected?

Can you describe to me the steps taken to initially save these logins? When saving a login on a website the URL should be captured meaning it wouldn't be necessary to go back in and edit items to add the correct URL.

I look forward to hearing from you.

• verytiredsysadmin
    verytiredsysadmin
    Community Member

Hello!

Yes, manually adding a specific domain to a given Login entry does allow it to appear. The problem is that the number of combinations of domains and already-existing Login entries makes manually pasting all those in rather unfeasible.

Can you describe to me the steps taken to initially save these logins?

They were captured in the 1Password native MS-Windows app directly, before the browser extension was ever installed. (How that was done I'm not sure about, since it was before my time. Possibly one of the then-sysadmins did something clever with imports?)

Personally, I would be totally fine with a Login that didn't contain a matching website not appearing on the dropdown in the username/password text field by default; that makes perfect sense and would be correct for nearly every situation. But not even allowing the Autofill button to appear in the toolbar window's list of every Login on the account seems almost gratuitously restrictive, and impedes the "edge case" use of the software.

I can at least still drop the toolbar window down and manually "Copy" the username and password... although since the browser extension doesn't then offer to update the saved Login entry with the current website domain, this method does not help solve the problem going forward.

I'll probably play around with exporting the account to a .1pux format, unzipping that, and scripting a pass across the data file to insert the appropriate domains to the matching Login entries. (If I re-import the result, will the MS-Windows app complain about duplicates of existing entries, or will it overwrite the existing ones with the updated entries being imported? I guess deleting the existing ones would avoid that... now I'm just thinking aloud.)

If that latter approach works, I'll be very grateful that you allowed import/export of the data!

• Thank you for getting back to me @verytiredsysadmin.

I agree and I do think we could make it easier to add a URL to an existing item that is missing one rather having to edit it and copy and paste it in. I have passed your feedback on to our product team for consideration in future updates.

As for re-importing the entries I would suggest the following:

1. Create a tag and assign it to all of the existing entries. Within your 1Password app you can hit CTRL - A to select all of your items and then drag and drop them to the tag in the sidebar to assign it to all.
    2. Re import your data including the correct domains
    3. Check over the imported data and confirm you are happy with it
    4. Go to the tag in the side bar of your 1Password app, Ctrl + A to select everything, and then right click > delete.

I hope this helps!

ref: PB33296772

• verytiredsysadmin
    verytiredsysadmin
    Community Member

That's a handy trick, thank you for that! Don't think I would ever have thought to try the drag-and-drop, for that matter. Cheers!

• Hey @verytiredsysadmin,

You're welcome, let us know if you have any further questions.

This discussion has been closed.