Feature request: lock after N minutes regardless of system idle

Options

The 1Password browser extension has a setting to automatically lock after the system has been idle for a certain amount of time. This setting doesn't seem to be very reliable -- even if I leave my computer idle overnight, I often find that the 1Password browser extension is still fully unlocked in the morning.

Would it be possible to add an option to the 1Password extension settings that locked it after the extension was unused for some time? For example, the following scenario:

1. I configure the 1Password browser extension to auto-lock after it's not been used for 10 minutes.
  2. I unlock 1Password and log in to my bank (etc).
  3. After finishing my banking, I do some other work on the computer for an hour.
  4. After 10 minutes, the 1Password browser extension auto-locks (despite the computer being in use).

Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.10.0
OS Version: macOS, Linux
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• Hey @jmillikin,

Thank you for your suggestion, so for my understanding you would like the settings as they are but instead of them to be effective when your computer is left idle you'd prefer for them to be in effect when 1Password itself is left idle?

As for 1Password staying unlocked overnight this doesn't sound quite right. 1Password in your browser shares the lock state of your 1Password app so could you share a screenshot of the following settings for me:

1. Open and unlock your 1Password desktop app
    2. Click on your account in the top right hand corner and choose Settings
    3. Click on 'Security' and send a screenshot of the settings in this window under 'Auto lock'.

I look forward to hearing from you.

• jmillikin
    jmillikin
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your suggestion, so for my understanding you would like the settings as they are but instead of them to be effective when your computer is left idle you'd prefer for them to be in effect when 1Password itself is left idle?

Yep, exactly.

As for 1Password staying unlocked overnight this doesn't sound quite right. 1Password in your browser shares the lock state of your 1Password app so could you share a screenshot of the following settings for me:

Hmm, maybe the issue is because on my primary machine I'm using the browser extension without the desktop application installed. Does the extension ever auto-lock if it can't connect to the app?

Here's a screenshot of the Security settings in the browser extension:

• Hi @jmillikin,

If you're using the 1Password extension on its own it will automatically lock when you close your browser, even with "Automatically lock 1Password" disabled. With "Automatically lock 1Password" enabled, it will automatically lock based on the settings you've set within the 1Password extension Security settings seen in your screenshot. If you're continuing to experience 1Password staying unlocked despite these settings, I'd like to ask if you can reproduce the behaviour and send over a console log from your browser:

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com and include your username and a a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here and we can take a closer look and assist you further over email.

• jmillikin
    jmillikin
    Community Member
    Options

I've sent the requested log to the email address above (ID [#HTI-33518-845]), but it's fairly short so I'll also post it here:

23:09:22.050 background.js:2 [popup] Not attempting to connect to desktop app: extension has integration turned off
    23:09:22.050 background.js:2 Decided not to attempt reconnection to the desktop app.
    23:09:22.066 background.js:2 Loaded page details in 8.599999994039536 ms.
    23:09:22.066 background.js:2 Analyzed the page in 0.5999999940395355 ms.
    07:46:46.213 background.js:2 [popup] Not attempting to connect to desktop app: extension has integration turned off
    07:46:46.213 background.js:2 Decided not to attempt reconnection to the desktop app.
    07:46:46.228 background.js:2 Loaded page details in 2.9000000059604645 ms.
    07:46:46.228 background.js:2 Analyzed the page in 0.30000001192092896 ms.
    07:46:50.966 Unchecked runtime.lastError: The message port closed before a response was received.

I opened the 1Password menu, went to bed, then opened it again the next morning and it hadn't locked overnight.

If you're using the 1Password extension on its own it will automatically lock when you close your browser,

Sure, but I'm not going to be shutting down my browser unless there's a security update, and those only happen every few weeks. I want the 1Password extension to lock itself.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @jmillikin, I was able to locate your ticket and have sent you a reply there. We look forward to continue the conversation via email.

ref: HTI-33518-845

This discussion has been closed.