To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Changing passwords and estate planning

Options
Rusty666
Rusty666
Community Member
edited May 2023 in Memberships

Hi, when I create a New Item I enter my current “weak” password - why do I have to strengthen my passwords as I am under the impression that 1Password stores all my current passwords in the very secure “Vault”?

Comments

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited May 2023
    Options

Because hackers don’t need to have access to your 1Password vault; they can directly try to hack you on the service/website where you use a weak password. If that website leaks passwords it’s even worse; they can then perform “unlimited” attempts on their own hardware (without restrictions) and will probably succeed (quickly) if the password is weak. And if you reuse that weak password anywhere else, they can immediately hack you there (in one single attempt), by just typing that same password there.

So please use 1Password (or any other reputable password manager) to create strong & unique passwords.

• Rusty666
    Rusty666
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks very much for your help, it makes sense. Can you point me in the direction of basic/simple guidelines to setting up 1Password (Personal)? If I do set it up what instructions do I leave for my daughter, besides the Emergency Kit, if I die suddenly? Is the **Lounge **the best place to ask these questions?

• Hi @Rusty666,

The above commenter hit the nail on the head, while 1Password stores your password data in a secure and accessible place, that doesn't mean that someone with malicious intent couldn't hack your singular accounts if you're using a relatively weak password - one of the most important features in 1Password is to create complex and difficult passwords as well as fill them so that you don't have to remember them but your accounts are still protected.

With that said, while this article is specifically referring to choosing a good account password for your 1Password account, I'd say that it's a good guideline to follow for any account; you can also use the 1Password password generator to generator a strong and unique password for you.

This discussion has been closed.