Error: "1Password has detected an error with your local app database"

Options
srboyd
srboyd
Community Member
edited May 2023 in Mac

I get this error message when I start up my iMac. Any idea how this can be fixed?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1Password has detected an error with your local app database

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited June 2023
    Options

Hello @srboyd! 👋

I'm sorry that you're running into an error message when using 1Password on your Mac. So that we can investigate further, I'd like to ask you to send us diagnostic logs from the 1Password app on your Mac:

1. Open Finder.
    2. Click Go in the menubar at the top of the screen.
    3. Click Go To Folder...
    4. In the new pop-up that appears paste: ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data and then press return on your keyboard.
    5. Right-click on the folder titled logs and select Compress "logs".

Attach the newly created logs.zip file to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#21214

• srboyd
    srboyd
    Community Member
    Options

Dave,
    I sent in the information per your instructions, however, I never receive a response from BitBot with a support ID. It has been about 15 minutes.

• @srboyd

One of the team will be in touch as soon as possible.

ref: QCE-18721-981

• tkn1972
    tkn1972
    Community Member
    Options

I restored my system from a Time Machine backup and when I try to start 1Password, that's the message I get.

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling but I get the same error. Sent an email to support this morning (about 12 hours ago) and haven't gotten a reply. I sent the logs. Currently I'm completely locked out. Please help pronto!!!!

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Browser:_ Not Provided

• CAGV
    CAGV
    Community Member
    Options

Hi!
    I had the same problem a couple of days ago. @Dave_1P's reply gave me a clue to find the faulty database. I renamed it and started 1Password. No more errors…
    I did send an email to support but haven't got any respons as of today. If your not going to reply please don't suggest users to contact support. It's just frustrating. Instead give the user a error report dialog which includes the above steps. Or better yet, ask for permission to recreate the database.

• Thank you for sending the logs @tkn1972

Someone from the team will be with you as soon as possible.

ref: HCL-26793-948

• @CAGV

I'm happy to hear you could resolve your trouble. Contacting support is a good thing to do, that way we can help you ensure no data loss occurs. We strive to answer everyone as quickly as possible. We answer tickets in the order received. I'm sorry we could not get your request sooner.

• mepcc55
    mepcc55
    Community Member
    Options

I am getting the same error message and I did everything as described above and have also had no response from BitBot with support ID. Please help!

• mepcc55
    mepcc55
    Community Member
    Options

@CAGV so what is the faulty database so that I can do the same thing, please?

• CAGV
    CAGV
    Community Member
    Options

The name of the database is 1password.sqlite. I renamed it to "1password.sqlite.old" (never delete anything unless you're really sure what you are doing). you kan find it where @Dave_1p pointed out in step 4 above.

• CAGV
    CAGV
    Community Member
    Options

Mind you, You should still have access your passwords by logging in to 1password.com, or by any 1P browser extension…

• Dave_1P
    edited June 2023
    Options

@mepcc55

I'm sorry that you're also running into the issue. I see that one of my colleagues has now responded to your email. Please continue the conversation there. 🙂

-Dave

ref: ICU-95928-134

• r8ders2k
    r8ders2k
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

I just had that issue and I've already followed CAGV's renaming the 1password.sqlite file and 1Password is backup 'n running. I just sent the requested e-mail with the logs.zip file and a screenshot of the error.

And my Support ID is #XUZ-51776-146.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@r8ders2k

Thank you for posting the Support ID. I see that my colleague has sent you an initial reply and I've asked them to followup with you again. I recommend that you continue the conversation in the email thread.

-Dave

ref: XUZ-51776-146

• jackrahaim
    jackrahaim
    Community Member
    Options

After restoring a new MacBook from Time Machine, I'm getting this error: 1Password has detected an error with your local app database, please contact support@1password.com.

• jackrahaim
    jackrahaim
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@jackrahaim

I'm sorry that you're also running into the same issue. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• lysander
    lysander
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @CAGV -worked great!

For those looking: the file is here:

/Users/YOUR USER/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password

• GreyM1P
    Options

Some advice to anyone who's running into that same error message:

⚠️ Please make sure that you can sign in to 1Password.com and find all the items you would expect before modifying ANY of 1Password's supporting files to minimise the risk of data loss.

If you see an error message, and are at all unsure about what to do, please don't modify anything and email support@1password.com for guided help.

— Grey

• lysander
    lysander
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

@GreyM1P

Since a few of us were able to correct the "1Password has detected an error with your local app database" error by having 1Password regenerate the sqlite database file then maybe your developers can figure out a way to prevent this issue from happening.

Or at least add a utility function in the menus that checks database integrity and offers to correct it. I recall that in prior versions of Quicken on Windows they had a similar function.

Leaving customers waiting, sometimes for days, for someone in support to respond is not an acceptable position.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@lysander

Thank you for the feedback. Our developers are working on avoiding this situation in the future and I've shared your suggestions with the team. I'm sorry again for the frustration that the issue caused.

-Dave

• Alalettre
    Alalettre
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem for me, I just followed step by step the first post of Dave_1P to locate the file, then I renamed it "1password.sqilite.old" (after backing it up as a precaution), and restarted the Mac. I then reconnected using my iPhone. Everything's OK, and it's quicker than waiting for an answer.

• Dave_1P
    edited June 2023
    Options

@Alalettre

I'm sorry that you ran into the issue as well. I see that you sent in a diagnostics report and one of my colleagues will get back to you as soon as possible.

I also wanted to echo my colleague Grey's comment from earlier in the thread:

⚠️ Please make sure that you can sign in to 1Password.com and find all the items you would expect before modifying ANY of 1Password's supporting files to minimise the risk of data loss.

If you see an error message, and are at all unsure about what to do, please don't modify anything and email support@1password.com for guided help.

-Dave

ref: BAD-62297-727

• lysander
    lysander
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P Great, it would be good to see this error repaired.

In the meantime, renaming the "1password.sqilite" to"1password.sqilite.old" procedure seems to help everyone.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@lysander

Please make sure that you can see all of your items in a correct state when you log in to your 1Password account on 1Password.com (in the browser, not the app) before modifying any files.

While renaming that file forces 1Password to generate a new healthy database using the data in your account on 1Password.com, it can result in data loss in certain situations. I recommend that folks reach out to the team by sending an email to support+forum@1Password.com so that we can help everyone resolve the issue safely.

-Dave

• yukii
    yukii
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem. I sent logs.zip to support+forum@1password.com.
    Please help!

• @yukii

I've located your email and confirm that it has made it to the right team. One of my colleagues will review the logs and send you instructions as soon as possible.

-Dave

ref: TJF-76974-611

• eoschlotz
    eoschlotz
    Community Member
    Options

Can someone please send me the instructions for locating and removing the 1password.sqlite file? I am having this local app database error and the 1Password help has not been helpful after 2 days.

• @eoschlotz

I'm sorry that you're running into the database error. Can you please post the Support ID of the ongoing conversation that you have open with our support team? It looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to locate your message and make sure that you receive a reply as soon as possible.

-Dave