Browser app integration broken when using 1Password for Windows

Options
bshakil
bshakil
Community Member

I was unsure where to post this issue. But after installing the stable version of 1password I am pretty sure it's the problem with Nightly Channel.

Problem started with this message on 1password Edge Extension.
"Microsoft Edge has an update. Restart Microsoft Edge to install the update and reconnect with 1password."

There is no update available for edge.

Reinstalling the extension gets rid of this message, but integration still doesn't work.

Error in extension settings
"Problem connecting, please ensure 1password is unlocked."

Completely uninstalling 1password and reinstalling the stable version of 1password desktop app solves the issue.

1Password Version: 8.10.8
Extension Version: 2.11.0
OS Version: Windows 11 23H2
Browser:_ Edge 113.0.1774.57

Comments

• HinghamHarborMan
    HinghamHarborMan
    Community Member
    Options

I'm seeing the same update message in Edge, as well as in Brave. Both browsers are up to date. I've tried the 1Password Beta browser extension (2.11.1) and the 1Password Nightly browser extension (2.12.0).

• RogueScholar
    RogueScholar
    Community Member
    Options

Likewise for me with Vivaldi Snapshot 6.1.3035.3 (Official Build) (64-bit) and browser extension 2.11.1 from the Chrome Web Store attempting to establish a connection to 1Password Nightly for Windows 8.10.8 (81008002). This behavior (or more accurately, lack of functionality) is present both on Windows 11 Pro Insider Preview 22H2 Build 23440.1000 and Kubuntu 23.04 "The Lunar Lobster" using Linux kernel 6.2.0-23-generic. The relevant content of the BrowserSupport log is:

INFO [1P:native-messaging\op-browser-support\src\main.rs:165] Starting 1Password-BrowserSupport 8.10.8-2.NIGHTLY production build no. 81008002.
    INFO [1P:native-messaging\op-browser-support\src\browser_verification\windows.rs:42] Verifying browser "C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe"
    ERROR [1P:native-messaging\op-browser-support\src\browser_verification\windows.rs:49] WinApi(Cannot find the requested object.)
    INFO [1P:native-messaging\op-browser-support\src\browser_verification\windows.rs:59] name: cmd, publisher: Unknown Publisher, pid: 5604, version: 10.0.23440.1000
    INFO [1P:native-messaging\op-browser-support\src\browser_verification\windows.rs:42] Verifying browser "C:\Program Files\Vivaldi\Application\vivaldi.exe"
    INFO [1P:native-messaging\op-browser-support\src\browser_verification\windows.rs:59] name: vivaldi, publisher: Vivaldi Technologies AS, pid: 21748, version: 6.1.3035.3
    ERROR [1P:native-messaging\op-browser-support\src\main.rs:197] Browser support error: ParentVerificationFail(WinApi(The timestamp signature and/or certificate could not be verified or is malformed.)), happened in: native-messaging\op-browser-support\src\browser_verification\windows.rs:79
    Additional error context: Browser's certificate is not trusted

• Dave_1P
    edited June 2023
    Options

Hello @bshakil, @HinghamHarborMan, and @RogueScholar! 👋

Thank you for reporting an issue with app integration when using the nightly version of 1Password for Windows. Our developers are currently investigating the issue, to help us narrow down the cause of the problem I'd like to ask you all to send in a diagnostics report:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#22209

• HinghamHarborMan
    HinghamHarborMan
    Community Member
    Options

Here is the Support ID: [#STP-89169-163]

• bshakil
    bshakil
    Community Member
    Options

[#KAU-18417-656]

• Dave_1P
    Options

@HinghamHarborMan and @bshakil

Thank you for sending in the diagnostic reports. One of my colleagues will review the reports and get back to you as soon as possible.

-Dave

ref: STP-89169-163
    ref: KAU-18417-656

• namiaro
    namiaro
    Community Member
    Options

Had the same issue with the latest nightly releases of 1P for Windows and browser extension. Integration wouldn't work in Brave, Edge and Firefox. In my case it also broke Yubikey 2FA authentication across all web browsers and all websites (not just 1P). I've returned to beta for now and it's fine.

I've sent diagnostics two days ago [#JRH-95373-837].

• RogueScholar
    RogueScholar
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

The Support ID I received is: [#NKW-22361-456].

Thanks for your assistance, @Dave_1P.

• martinsteel
    martinsteel
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

Seeing the same issue with 1Password plugin from the Edge Add-ons site. The 1Password Beta plugin from the Chrome store works fine however (in Edge).

• Hello @martinsteel,

Thanks for your feedback. I'm happy to hear all is well with the 1Password in the browser Beta. This is know issue with the Nightly version and I've included your report in the issue we're tracking for the Development team! 👍

ref: dev/core/core#22209

• Hello folks,

Thanks for your patience. Things have been resolved in a recent nightly and app integration is back running as expected. If you had downgraded, after setting the release channel back to nightly, let us know if you are continuing to see any troubles: Use 1Password beta releases

@OliverP - Thanks for your report and cross post. I'm sorry to hear that you've encountered the same with beta (81008013). I've just completed some testing with the beta and nightly (81008016), but not able to reproduce the app integration issues described with Edge/Chrome. Could you try manually installing the latest beta for your platform and let us know if problems persists? If so, does this still happen with both Edge and Chrome? 1Password Releases

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also seeing this with 1Password for Windows 8.10.8 (81008013) and I'm on the beta channel, not the Nightly.
    Should there be a newer beta already?

• Hello @Manaburner (and @OlivierP),

Thanks for your message. I'm sorry to hear that you are also experiencing troubles with app integration in version (81008013). This is the latest version of the beta released June 07, 2023: 1Password Releases

Let's test the following:

1. Right-click the 1Password icon in the browser toolbar and click 'Settings'.
    2. Scroll down to "Integrate with 1Password app" at the end of General section and toggle it off.
    3. Scroll down to "Accounts & vaults".
    4. Sign out of your account and Sign in again.
    5. Fully close the web browser.
    6. Fully quit the 1Password app.

After that, please give your computer a restart to ensure no pending process prevents 1Password from connecting with the browser. Once your computer turns back on, continue with the following:

1. Open and sign into the 1Password app first.
    2. Left click the 3 vertical dots in the top left corner and select 'Settings'.
    3. Under the Browser tab, ensure 'Connect with 1Password in the browser' is checked.
    4. Then go ahead and re-open the web browser and turn on the "Integrate with 1Password app" option again.
    5. Test things out.

If this didn't help, could attach the following to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com?

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/140493/1password-app-integration-broken-on-microsoft-edge-nightly-8-10-8-81008002
    • Your forum username: Manaburner

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here.  Thanks!

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_mike_d
    my Support ID is [#AAL-96469-785]

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Manaburner

Thank you for posting the Support ID. The support team will send you a reply as soon as they review the diagnostics report that you sent in.

-Dave

ref: AAL-96469-785

• Dave_1P
    Options

@OlivierP

Thanks for sending in a diagnostics report. You'll receive a reply from the team over email as soon as possible.

-Dave

ref: CDR-47291-594

• Dave_1P
    Options

Thank you again for working with the team to find a cause and resolution for the issue. 🙂

-Dave

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member
    Options

One of the support team members had me create a new chrome profile and only install 1Password there, but that didn't help. I also disabled DoH und Windows Defender.
    Just in case someone is trying this, at least for me it didn't work

• Ashokleyland
    Ashokleyland
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

Hi,

Link is still broken in Firefox / Win11.

Latest desktop beta : 1Password for Windows 8.10.8 (81008024)
    Latest extension beta : 1Password in the browser 2.12.1 - 21200101, on BETA channel

Regards

• Ashokleyland
    Ashokleyland
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Since last week, Firefox is unable to communicate with 1pw.
    Only on windows. macOS is fine. Also, chrome browsers are fine too.
    Beta/production version of the extension have the same issue.

Thanks

1Password Version: 8.10.8 (81008024)
    Extension Version: 2.12.1
    OS Version: Win11 22H2
    Browser:_ Firefox 114.0.1
    Referrer: forum-search:firefox

• Hey @Ashokleyland,

I'm sorry for the trouble you are having with 1Password and Firefox.

Can you let me know what is happening when you click on the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar?

If you give your computer a complete restart is the behaviour the same?

• Ashokleyland
    Ashokleyland
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

when you click on the 1pw icon in the browser toolbar, it opens the sign-in windows of the brower's extension and not the app sign-in prompt.
    Yes, this behaviour is still here after complete restart.

• leonardder
    leonardder
    Community Member
    Options

I can reproduce this as well. It is due to the beta version of 1Password desktop. When I revert back to 1Password desktop production, all is well again.

• Ashokleyland
    Ashokleyland
    Community Member
    Options

The extension just update to 2.12.2 but still no luck with the connection.

• Dave_1P
    edited June 2023
    Options

@Manaburner

Thank you for the update. Please continue to work with the team over email.

ref: AAL-96469-785

@Ashokleyland

I'm sorry to hear the app integration isn't working on your Windows PC. If you're running into similar issues with the beta version then I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your PC:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

The report will be in .1pdiagnostics format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• Ashokleyland
    Ashokleyland
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Dave_1P, here is the support ID number : [#EAU-66111-322]

• Hey @Ashokleyland, @leonardder,

I think it would be useful if we could take a closer look at some logs and what may be going wrong.

I'd like to ask you to send over a console log from your browser as well as a diagnostics report:

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.