GNOME Shell crashing on Fedora 38 (LInux) After 100's of ssh sessions through keyring

Options
btaroli
btaroli
Community Member

Fedora 38
GNOME 44.1
openssh 9.0p1
openssl 3.0.9
1Password 8.10.7

I began using 1Password's ssh agent for my interactive and scripted ssh sessions a bit ago and LOVE it. There has been an issue though. Some scripts are doing 100's of ssh sessions to hosts I manage. Eventually, when one of these scripts is running, GNOME Shell crashes and relaunches to the login window.

I've been digging around in the messages log and I am noticing some complaints about DBus and keyring out of memory issues. But of course none of this includes anything from 1Password. I'm not sure what the best way to try and capture useful information is... but do consider that when this issue occurs, running applications may crash. So whatever logs are gathering need to do so BEFORE the event occurs. Then I can try gathering them up after GNOME Shell relaunches.

1Password Version: 8.10.7
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: Fedora 38
Browser:_ N/A

Comments

• You can find the 1Password logs at $HOME/.config/1Password/logs. What may also be useful is to enable SSH agent diagnostics by running mkdir $HOME/.config/1Password/ssh-diagnostics. This will log each SSH request made to the agent.

Is there a certain pattern that triggers this behavior?

• btaroli
    btaroli
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

I’ll check out the logs. I think I did create that folder a bit ago. The notes I saw about doing so didn’t say much about what to expect after that.

I’m not sure what sort of pattern you mean. The jobs have been running for years using pubkeys. It wasn’t until I began using using the identity agent that this behavior began.

In looking at the messages log, I did see DBus errors, which is likely to have resulted in the GNOME shell crash. I think I also saw messages suggesting that letting May have been complaining about memory secure memory issues. My guess would be a cascading effect of a process not responding to messages.

I wasn’t really sure why keyring there would be involved because ssh is configured to talk to the 1Password socket directly, so those may have been normal messages that Ives’s just noticing kow.

I’ll have a look at the 1Password logs and see what they have.

• btaroli
    btaroli
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

The ssh-diagnostics folder I created a while ago has literally nothing in it. Is this wiped on each application launch? What causes things to drop in here? I have the messages log from the last time I dug around in there, so I'll try re-locating and pulling out the messages I made reference to here. Not sure what smoking gun I need to look for or if indeed it might not be a 1Password issue at all. I only know that the behavior began after I started using the ssh-agent.

This discussion has been closed.