Flatpak installs outdated version of 1Password

Options
mstanke
mstanke
Community Member

For some time, running flatpak update was showing errors for me that the version of 1Password in the remote is older than the version installed. My version installed was 8.9.13.

To resolve it, I tried to uninstall 1Password, removed the remote and followed the steps here https://support.1password.com/install-linux/#flatpak. The result is I ended up even with version 8.9.10. The current version according to https://releases.1password.com/linux/ is however 8.10.7. Is Flatpak distribution still supported way to install 1Password on Linux desktop? If so, what is the expected schedule to get new updates available via Flatpak, please?

1Password Version: 8.9.10
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Linux, Fedora Silverblue 38
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• CharDSon
    CharDSon
    Community Member
    Options

I still have version 8.9.4 and no new updates, I'm still waiting for 1Password release on Flathub to solve these problems.

• mstanke
    mstanke
    Community Member
    Options

Today I run flatpak update and my 1Password got updated back to 8.9.13. It seems like the Flatpak repository is stuck with 8.9 now, and also that there's some caching in place that serves different information about latest version each time.

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @mstanke and @CharDSon, apologies for the delay in response here!

This is a known issue with the Flatpak version at the moment. I'm not able to provide a timeline for when this will be resolved, and we do apologise for any inconvenience caused.

For the time being, we would recommend using either the platform specific version (such as .deb) or the tar version. You can find instructions for installing these versions at the link below:

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions or concerns, let me know!

• mstanke
    mstanke
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @1P_Gem . Any update regarding 1Password in Flatpak updates, please?

• Hey folks, this being investigated but we do not have further updates at the moment.

As Gem mentioned, we would recommend reinstalling 1Password with a different installation method for the time being.

Your patience is greatly appreciated as we work on this.

Ali

• CharDSon
    CharDSon
    Community Member
    Options

Greetings, @AliH1P

I don't know the reason for the problems you are having with Flatpak, I think one problem you may be having is due to the dimensions of the 1Password icon.

Flatpak requires the apps icon to be fully square, I tried to create a 1Password Flatpak and found which icon is not fully square, which prevents it from being built.

• Thanks @CharDSon. It appears to be a different issue that our developers are investigating at the moment. I'll be sure to provide an update as soon as we have any news to share regarding this issue.

Ali

• PastaShock
    PastaShock
    Community Member
    Options

With the rise of immutable distributions such as Fedora Silverblue and many others, Flatpak support is going to become more and more critical.

I can see most desktop Linux distributions moving to an immutable model over the next 5 years.

• Thanks for reaching out @PastaShock. This is something our team is currently working on but we don't have any news to share just yet. I'll be sure to pass your comment along to the relevant team.

Ali

• Hi @PastaShock,

Thanks for your feedback. I'll pass along this information to the team. 🙂

Franky

• Hi everyone. Just wanted to let you know that the Flatpak build of 1Password for Linux has now been updated to 8.10.18. :)

• CharDSon
    CharDSon
    Community Member
    Options

Great, I just updated it, I saw that it now uses the latest runtime, thanks a lot @GreyM1P!

• Hi @CharDSon,

I'm glad to hear you were able to update to the latest version. 🙂

Let us know if you have any feedback or run into any issues!

Franky

• jemacias
    jemacias
    Community Member
    Options

@1Password team, I imagine you probably cannot release any details on why the delay, but is it likely to happen? I'd like to Swap from the deb based installer to the Flatpak version but I wouldn't like to do it if is more likely to lag behind on the Flatpak version on the future