Unable to log in to Google account with ''Passkey'' function.

Options
poconi
poconi
Community Member
edited January 30 in 1Password in the Browser

I tried the new Passkey feature in my browser and when I tried to sign in to my Google account, other Android devices took priority and became unavailable!
I tried the others and was able to sign in to eBay with the Passkey feature!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.12.0
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @poconi, I'm sorry for the delay in replying. Just to check, are you running into an issue only when trying to sign in to your Google account with a passkey on your mobile device?

I do want to note that we do not yet have support for saving or signing in with passkeys on mobile. However, if you are seeing issues with signing into your Google account with a passkey in the browser on your computer, please do let us know about it some more. We are always happy to help.

• poconi
    poconi
    Community Member
    Options

When trying to use Google Passkey on Chrome in Windows 11, the Android Passkey takes precedence and I'm unable to log in. The issue persists even after applying the latest update, version 2.12.2. 😭

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@poconi did you originally save the passkey to your Google login in 1Password via that same Chrome browser on Windows 11? There are a couple of known issues with Google passkeys. I can check if you've run into one of them.

• poconi
    poconi
    Community Member
    Options

I don’t use Chrome’s passkey feature, I only use 1Password and ios’s Passkey feature!

• Thanks @poconi. When you first saved a passkey for your Google account, did you save it in the same browser and PC where you are now trying to use it? For example, if you signed into your Google account in Chrome and saved a passkey are you noticing the prompt from your Android device when trying to sign in with Firefox or another browser?

• poconi
    poconi
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

Yes, I created the passkey with the same browser (Chrome) and PC.
    I created a new passkey with 1Password, but still, the Android smartphone is prioritized and displayed.
    @ag_timothy

• junglecat
    junglecat
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue. Google passkey saved in 1Password on Win 11 using Brave with the latest beta 1Password browser extension. When attempting to login to my Google account using my passkey on the same computer and browser, it keeps attempting to use my YubiKey. The 1Password browser extension isn't offering to login me in.

• loggor
    loggor
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

I have a similiar issue with Brave. I had setup 1Password passkey on my Google account. The process to save the passkey worked, but when I try to access my Google account with the passkey, the browser shows a popup with a QR Code and 1Password is ignored.

What I tried so far:
    Deleting the Passkey on Google and setting it up again.
    Deleting the Passkey on the 1Password app.

• TheMork
    TheMork
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_timothy to provide more context to this issue, which I believe to be the same issue I am experiencing, is that on Windows 11 specifically, the operating system detects a request for a Passkey and takes precedence over 1Password, so the browser extension never even sees a request to authenticate using Passkeys because Windows has intercepted it earlier in the chain. For some reason, this is not the case with a few websites, including ebay.co.uk (who in my opinion use very bad implementation of Passkeys as it's local only), probably because of their specific implementation.

For some reason Windows does not intercept the enrolment (register) request, only the authentication (login) request. As far as I can tell, this is an issue within the operating system that Microsoft must fix, and 1Password have no ability to control, as it happens in Firefox, Brave, Vivaldi, Opera, Chrome, and Edge on my machine (Windows 11 build 22621.1992), whereas the feature works flawlessly for me on macOS with Chrome, Edge and Firefox, and even on Edge and Firefox on Linux/SteamOS (Steam Deck).

• gabeg
    gabeg
    Community Member
    Options

@TheMork Thanks for explaining! Such a bizarre issue.

I work for a big company on the side and they have their own Homemade SSO implementation and I'm getting the same issue where it registers properly within 1P but when i try to login with it I get the Windows PassKey Manager.

Makes me wonder if there is something I can tinker with GroupPolicy or Edge / Chrome flags to block OS level passkeys

• Hello @gabeg, I'm sorry to hear about the trouble.

I'd like to dig deeper into the issue you're experiencing with passkeys. I recommend sending an email to support+forum@1Password.com so that our support team can help you.

With your email please include:

After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot, our friendly robot assistant with a Support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I’ll be able to locate your message and make sure it’s gotten to the right place.

We look forward to assisting you further, @gabeg!