Open & Fill is not working on SOME sites that it previously worked on.

Options

1Password 6 ver 1532
1Password in the browser 2.11.0 21100005, on STABLE channel
Windows 10 Home, version 22H2 64-bit
There are always updates. 4 since March.
OS build 19045.2965
Browser: Google Chrome

I see a few other topics on this issue, but am not sure if it's OK to hijack a topic.

One site that I use everyday(duolingo.com), in April 2023 the password no longer worked.
So I clicked on "Forgot password" and solved that. I was too busy to investigate.

But now, June 2023, something odd is happening.
1) I log into 1Password
2) Type a few letters of the site name in the search window.
3) Click on Open & Fill
4) The page launches to a window where I choose that I have an account
5) The login page appears with my user name already filled in.
6) In the past, when I would mouse-over the password cell and left click, the password would autofill.
But that doesn't happen now. What shows up is "Use Suggested Password".
What I have to do now is to go back to the 1Password window and click Autofill.

I am guessing that back in April this "Use Suggested Password" window showed up and I just clicked on it without thinking. I've been using this since 2016, so a lot of my actions are automatic, like dialing your phone number.

I do log out everytime I'm done.

There are a couple of other sites that no longer populate the username or password window when I use the Autofill button. I have to go back to the 1Password window and click on Copy and then go back to the page and paste it.

I'm wondering what changed.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @jjuly,

I'm a little confused on your set up, I see that you are using the latest version of 1Password in your browser which is great but I think you may have an older version of the 1Password desktop app. Can you double check the version for me, the latest is 1Password 8.

As for the inconsistencies you are seeing with Open and Fill, the expected behaviour is as you described, you locate the item, choose 'Open and Fill' and the website is opened and then automatically filled. Can you point me at the websites where you are having trouble populating the usernames and passwords so I can do some testing and best advise?

Thank you.

• jjuly
    jjuly
    Community Member
    Options

Hola Steph
    Yes, I get confused too. It was an old app (2017) so I just downloaded and ran the newer version 8. And the browser was something I added later, so that's why they were different ages. I'm more of an "appliance operator" so I try not to update something that's working.

The inconsistencies I'm seeing with Open and Fill has everything to do with the site I'm accessing. They changed something on their end because 1Password works on other sites. I find it curious that some sites respond differently. Some auto populate the UN and PW cells as soon as the page loads. Others require just a mouse-over and some require clicking something.

I do not notice any operational difference with 1P 8, except that the login screen is different.

Thanks for your reply, but there is nothing you need to do. I have learned the new login routine and will have to be more careful in the future about assuming that some of the sites will stay the same.

Since you did ask ...... https://duolingo.com

Saludos,
    John

• Hi @jjuly,

You're right, the way in which the site is designed does have an effect on open and fill.

If you have the exact URL of the login page saved in your 1Password then Open and Fill should indeed open the page and fill your credentials into the fields. However in some cases such as Duolingo it does require you to manually click 'I already have an account' before you get to that login page.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all.

This discussion has been closed.