1password 8 not copying OTP to the clipboard

Options
pinskerj
pinskerj
Community Member
edited June 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

For some reason, 1password 8 does not seem to be copying the OTP in the entry to the clipboard. At many sites (see attached jpeg), they don't have a separate OTP field. For example USAA.com they ask you to add the 6 digit OTP code to the end of your PIN. See attached. There is no way for 1password 8 to know this, so if you autofill the username and password, in 1password 7 it was easy just press command V to paste and log in. I can't get this working in 1password 8. There are other sites like this. Am I doing something wrong? 1password 7 handled this perfectly. Thanks.

1Password Version: 8.10.7
Extension Version: latest
OS Version: 13.4
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• haiGodzilla
    haiGodzilla
    Community Member
    Options

Would add that the shortcut isn't working when using 1Password mini also isn't working when trying to copy the OTP via mouse click from 1Password mini. Right now, the work-around is to open the details and copy the OTP from there via mouse click.

Works neither on Mac (Ventura 13.3.1) nor on Windows 11 (latest patch).
    Latest 1Password version

• Hey @pinskerj,

You're right, the expected behaviour is that after filing the username and password field 1Password will automatically fill the OTP field without the need to copy and paste it.

We have an internal issue filed for this specific website so I have added you as an affected user. In the meantime you may find it easier on this site to click on the 1Password icon in your browser and drag and drop the OTP to the field.

Can you let me know the other sites you are having trouble with so I can take a look?

@haiGodzilla

Can you let me know the exact shortcut you are referring to so to so I can understand? Do you mean the shortcut to fill?

Thanks

ref: dev/core/core#15850

• pinskerj
    pinskerj
    Community Member
    Options

@steph.giles - Can you explain what I am doing wrong why I can't paste it in? Why is 1password 8 not copying the OTP code to the clipboard like 1password 7 used to it? That would work fine. Is there a setting needed to enable this?

• haiGodzilla
    haiGodzilla
    Community Member
    Options

hey @steph.giles
    nvm. the bug was in front of the monitor. I added the OTP in a custom field in 1Password and not in the designated OTP field in the main area. moved the field. shortcut works now. :)

• Hey @pinskerj,

You are not doing anything wrong, with the latest version of 1Password the OTP is not automatically copied to your clipboard as the assumption is that it will fill automatically without copy/paste being required. There is no setting to enable it but I can put in a request with our product team to see if we can consider adding this functionality back in in a future update if you feel this will positively impact your workflow.

Thanks @haiGodzilla

• pinskerj
    pinskerj
    Community Member
    Options

Yes please add that feature back. It is very convenient in any case if the OTP does not fill for any reason.

• I have put in a request in your behalf @pinskerj, please let us know if there is anything else we can help with in the meantime.

ref: PB33630481

• thaddselden
    thaddselden
    Community Member
    Options

Please please add auto-copy back in, at least as an option. You all must waste so much time tailoring to every single site with specific requirements like this (my work does the same thing, but only on VPN so you’ll never be able to validate it and I’ll never be able to have easy OTP entry with 1Password since you removed this).

Also, when a site opens in an in-app browser you can use 1Password to fill the password, but when it takes you to the next page there’s no more password prompt so it just doesn’t work. (My specific use case is the Libby app redirecting me to sign in to Amazon. No way to enter my OTP except to open 1Password app, copy the OTP, go back to Libby, and paste). This is a horrible user experience, especially since it used to work so well.

• Hey @thaddselden,

Thank you for this level of detail. I can understand how adding this functionality back in would improve your workflow.

I have put in a request with our product team along with your comments.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help with in the meantime.

ref: PB34196287

• reboot81
    reboot81
    Community Member
    Options

I also miss this feature, as I need to fill in password+OTP in the same field.

• Hey @reboot81,

Thank you for your feedback, I have passed it on to the team.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

ref: PB34300170

• bergdog
    bergdog
    Community Member
    Options

I don't know if this is the same problem but 1Pass7 used to automatically copy the next credential item to the clipboard when returning to the 1pass7 app. Example: on a website where auto-fill isn't working, copy the username, then upon returning to the 1pass7 app it would automatically copy the password, then upon returning again it would automatically copy the OTP if one existed. None of this works in 1Pass8.

• ag_tommy
    edited October 2023
    Options

@bergdog

Copy to clipboard is not an option in 1Password 8. I'd be happy to let the team know you'd like to see this feature again.

ref: PB-36211186

This discussion has been closed.