Unable to add passkey to Microsoft Accounts

Options
XIII
XIII
Community Member
edited November 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

In the past I have successfully set up a passkey via iCloud Keychain for multiple Microsoft accounts, but now I can't add a passkey in 1Password.

Issues:

• The option "Use a security key" does not appear in Safari (macOS) - probably a Microsoft issue?
  • When using that option in Firefox (macOS & Windows 10) or Edge (Windows 10) I either get the default Windows dialog (1Password not intercepting) or a message from 1Password that something went wrong - probably a 1Password issue?

How can I add a passkey in 1Password as well for Microsoft accounts?

1Password Version: 8.10.7
Extension Version: 2.12.0
OS Version: macOS Ventura & Windows 10
Browser:_ Safari, Firefox & Edge

Comments

• telephoneman2
    telephoneman2
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

In which country is that registered? It seems passkey support is not international rolled out for websites of some big players. I’m in Germany I have the same issue with MS, but also eBay.de and PayPal. In eBay I can trick to use eBay.com but for PayPal or MS I couldn’t do this workaround

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

In which country is that registered?

Some country in Europe (I'd rather not be more specific).

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Update: it does work in Edge on macOS...

• chris55
    chris55
    Community Member
    Options

I'm running into this issue as well.

I don't have an option to add a security key / passkey to my account on macOS safari but successful using brave browser. Probably a Microsoft issue like you said.

Im able to login using the newly created passkey on Brave but no option at all on safari.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @XIII @chris55 I did some testing and you're both correct about the security key / passkey option not appearing in Safari on macOS. That is an issue on the Microsoft side.

That being said, I do find that the below is strange:

When using that option in Firefox (macOS & Windows 10) or Edge (Windows 10) I either get the default Windows dialog (1Password not intercepting) or a message from 1Password that something went wrong - probably a 1Password issue?

I was able to reproduce this on my end and have reported the issue to our developers. Hopefully there will be a fix for this in the future.

For now, I recommend using Chrome to save a passkey to your Microsoft account. I tested in Chrome and things work as expected there.

I hope that can help for now. Let us know if you have any other questions.

ref: dev/core/core#22428

This discussion has been closed.