How to select Microsoft account when logging in using passkey?

Options
XIII
XIII
Community Member

I have more than one Microsoft account, but when I try to log in using a security key, 1Password always selects the same account, without offering me to chose one (surprisingly it selects one for which passwordless login is turned off, but it still works...).

How can I select an account when logging in using a passkey?

Comments

• Hi @XIII

When you're signing in to your Microsoft account, are you first entering the relevant email address for the account you'd like to sign in to or are you clicking the "Sign in with Windows Hello or a security key" button?

Entering the email address for the account you'd like to use the passkey for allows 1Password in the browser to select the relevant passkey in your account for that login session. Whilst going for the "Sign in with Windows Hello or a security key" makes 1Password present a passkey without any input from you at this current stage in the Open Beta.

The team are working on investigating this further and I'd love to hear more about if you're seeing the "wrong" passkey being used when going through the first or second option above so I can pass this onto them.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

I'm trying to sign in using a "security key" passkey without entering an email address / username first.

Expected behaviour: 1Password shows me all entries with a passkey for microsoft.com and I can select which one to use.

• jac.pd_1p
    edited June 2023
    Options

@XIII

Thanks for letting me know more about how you'd like to see the ability to choose a specific passkey when signing in to Microsoft’s website as you have multiple Microsoft accounts with multiple passkeys stored in 1Password.

The development team are actively investigating this feedback and how selecting a passkey of your choice during the sign in process will work in certain scenarios such as if you have multiple items with passkeys in 1Password for the same website. I don’t have any information or dates on when this will be addressed. Instead, I recommend keeping 1Password in your browser up-to-date to ensure you’re receiving the latest features and improvements to saving and using passkeys during this Open Beta:

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

GitHub now uses passkeys! (Public beta)

https://github.blog/changelog/2023-07-12-passkeys-public-beta

Can I use them in 1Password when I have 2 GitHub accounts?

(I need to be able to select the personal or work one)

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Browser: Not Provided

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Any update on this?

I want to enable passkeys on GitHub, but 1Password is now restricting me instead of enabling me… 😢

https://1password.community/discussion/141264/github-now-uses-passkeys-can-i-use-them-in-1password-when-i-have-2-github-accounts

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

I just tested again with my Microsoft accounts and it looks like 1Password is still always selecting one automatically without offering the use a choice? 😢

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Why did you merge two topics, but not answer the questions in them?

This discussion has been closed.