Multiple username/passwords stored under a single entry

Options
MaddTech83
MaddTech83
Community Member
edited June 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Where I'm currently working, we have an entry for each of our client's sites. Inside each entry, we store multiple logins (username/password) for each of our developers. These logins are shared with everyone and so when we go to a specific site, it matches the very first login which is not always the correct login depending on the developer. Is there a way to tell 1Password to match a specific username/password in each login to the user that is logged in?

1Password Version: 8.10.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Ventura 13.4
Browser:_ Arc

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @MaddTech83, login items were created to store one username and password each. If you have multiple logins for your developers, it's best to create separate logins for them. From there, they'd be able to select their specific login so that it fills properly.

Could you give that set up a try? Please let us know if you have any other questions about it.

• MaddTech83
    MaddTech83
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @Joy_1P, we cannot as we would have to allot time to create over 2,000 records as every site we already have in 1Password would require us to create 7 new logins. I just assumed that since you can add additional text & password fields, there would be a way to set a default username for login.

• steph.giles
    edited June 2023
    Options

Hey @MaddTech83,

I see, so you are using a login item as a kind of category for each website and saving multiple logins within it?

As Joy said, it is best practice to have 1 login per login item and you can then categorize these using tags or favorites, here's how: Organize with favorites and tags

I hope this helps.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

@MaddTech83 It seems you did the wrong approach in the first place when you decided to add multiple login credentials to one 1Password item.
    I suggest you take the time and redesign your setup to best practice and what 1Password supports best.
    You seem to have sites, and you seem to have developers who login to these sites. Every developer has its own login. You seem to have 7 developers and about 2000/7 = 285 sites.

How about this setup:

• create one shared vault for every developer
    • into one developer vault, put the 285 entries with his login. These entries have only 1 username+password.
    • tag the entries the following way: site/developer.

Since you want shared access, give every developer access to every vault. However, in the app, as well as the browser extension, you can configure which vault is currently visible and items from it displayed. If one developer is using only his credentials, he can activate his vault only and ignore the other vaults. This way he only sees the items meant for him, and he is offered only his logins when he is about to login.

How to get to all these entries:
    Since you say "developers", they might perhaps have something to do with IT. If this is the case, let one of your developers do this:

• export the vault that currently contains the 285 entries that contain all username+password pairs to *.1pux
    • extract the export (it's a zip file renamed to 1pux). It contains a json file you can manipulate with json tools and scripting.
    • create 7 copies of that json, one for every developer. For every distinct json, remove all but 1 of the username+password pairs, so you get 7 json files with the logins for one developer only.
    • recreate 7 *.1pux files from the 7 json files
    • import the 7 *.1pux files in 1Password. They will end up as 7 different vaults. You will never overwrite existing entries, so there is no danger to your existing entries
    • add the tags I meant to the entries. Either now or while creating the json files with the conversion script you created.

I recommend python for manipulating json data (if you have som python developer), and the jq tool should also be able to do this, although this is not very common knowledge.

A more simple approach would be to export as *.csv, not as *.1pux, however with csv you have much less freedom which fields can be used. I don't know if all of your 7 different custom login entries will all show up.

• Thank you for sharing these steps @Tertius3.

• DBLClick
    DBLClick
    Community Member
    Options

I have this request too. My first example is Login.gov. This is a single site, that used both for my job and personal access, therefore I use one authentication account with two email address and same password and 2fA to access both sides. Also many sites now often allows you to use UserNames or email address, this would be a good way to manage them and a simple drop down menu to chose which name to auto fill would be great.

• Hi @DBLClick 👋

Thanks for sharing your use case here! It sounds like these are two separate accounts that happen to use the same password and 2FA, is that correct? If that's the case, I recommend setting up two separate 1Password items, one for each username/email address.

If the two items share the same URL, Watchtower won't identify these are reused passwords. Similarly, both will appear as autofill suggestions when you sign in to this website.

If you find you need to frequently navigate between these items to access data outside of autofill situations, you can also link the two: Link related items in 1Password

Let me know if you give that a try or have any questions!

• DBLClick
    DBLClick
    Community Member
    Options

actually no, on login.gov the allow a single account to connect to multiple services. I use my government email address along with a private email address to access selective services. When I use my government email address to access work related sources, I copy and paste or type in my email address with the same password and yubikey. This enables me to passthrough to my work related account using transportation.gov services, or pay.gov to reimburse funds back to the government.

The other method using both a username and email address are also the same accounts on my personal sites.