Confirm a Passkey question for me

Options

Am I right in thinking that Passkeys are (right now at least), an alternative method to sign into an account?

Eg, If I set up a passkey for my Google account, that a Passkey won't be the sole method to access my account?

I ask this as there is no Passkey support on iOS or Android at present.

I think i'm right here but just want a yes or no confirmation.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @rctneil! 👋

Whether or not a passkey will be the only way to login to a specific website will depend on each individual website and how they setup passkeys. For Google specifically, you can add a passkey as an option but you can still login using other methods such as a username and password.

We're in the early days of passkey adoption, most websites will likely offer multiple ways to sign in (especially for account recovery) for quite some time.

-Dave

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

Perfect, Thanks. Really looking forward to being able to use my keys stored in 1Password on iOS.

• Dave_1P
    edited June 2023
    Options

@rctneil

Me too! If you haven't seen it already then we recently published a sneak peak at what passkeys on iOS 17 will look like: Passkeys, iOS 17, and 1Password: A Sneak Peek at What’s Coming

-Dave

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P I did see that. It looks great! Always love seeing how fast the team tries out new functionality each WWDC. Each year it gets faster, so next year I want to see the new functionality before they've even announced it!

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

Oh and by the way, is there likely to be a Passkeys sub forum? Could be useful!

• Dave_1P
    Options

@rctneil

That's an interesting idea, I believe that the current plan is to discuss passkeys in their respective platform categories here in the community. I don't think of passkeys as something that are supplementary to passwords but as something that we all hope will replace passwords so creating a separate category doesn't seem quite right.

But the plan could change in the future and I've passed your suggestion along to the team. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.