Reporting Passkey Compatibility & Release Issues (Feature Request Incl.)

Options
r26gray
r26gray
Community Member

I'm currently trying out the beta version of 1Password for Passkey, and found out some of the big-name websites are on the Watchtower list for currently supporting Passkey. However, there were some issues with some of the websites, and I'm not sure how to report possible errors/tbd status of Passkey support for the Watchtower. So I'm posting it as a question. Also I do wish to put in a feature request, hoping there will be an easier way to simply report a site being incompatible, or not working, etc.

These are the websites I've had issues with so far:

• Google: when the website prompts to enter the nickname for the created passkey, it simply won't move past the "something went wrong" error message on Safari. I was able to create passkey on Firefox extension however.
  • Microsoft: an option to add passkey isn't on the list yet. I am guessing it might have to do with me being on Mac, so perhaps adding that info would be helpful.
  • Paypal: likewise, I was able to find that passkey isn't available to all accounts just yet. This is a gradual release of sort.
  • MangaDex: according to the website's devs, 1Password browser extension doesn't pick up the website's (found the reddit thread where it was discussed). The website is on the list, not sure what's happening.

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.8 (81008013)
Extension Version: 1Password for Safari 2.12.0
OS Version: 13.4 (22F66)
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• r26gray
    r26gray
    Community Member
    Options

I do have an update:

• Microsoft: the option to add passkey shows up on Chrome, macOS.
  • Hi @r26gray, thanks for writing in and sharing what you've found!

1) We've encountered a few issues with Google's passkey sign in offerings. From what you described it sounds like you might have selected the security key option rather than the passkey option in security settings as the passkey option won't prompt for a nickname. Selecting the security key option will allow you to save a passkey but results in the mentioned error. The team here is looking into this.

2) It sounds like Microsoft is now working as expected for you. Have you encountered any issues signing in with the passkey?

3) Passkeys with PayPal are currently only available for US PayPal accounts. If your account is associated with another region, that would likely be the cause.

4) I did some testing with Mangadex and also found that 1Password wasn't able to save a passkey with 1Password. I've shared this with the team so we can investigate further.

Thanks again!

ref: dev/core/core#22438

• r26gray
    r26gray
    Community Member
    Options

I tried logging into Microsoft today. (somehow haven't thought about it after setting it up!) Passkey option seems to only appear on Chrome, macOS. I've tried Safari, then Firefox. Both browsers only offered password logins. When I was logging on on Chrome, I did notice Microsoft website immediately took the first login from 1Password without a prompt to choose which login to use. I actually have two accounts with Microsoft, one for personal, one for work. They are both saved on 1Password. Usually when I log on to any website , I get a selection of logins to choose from. Is there a way to have a similar prompt or popup for passkey?

As for PayPal, I'm not sure what's going on with them. I do have a US account, but I am currently staying abroad. Maybe PayPal is checking where I am connecting from? Hopefully PayPal will open passkey for all accounts soon.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @r26gray!

I tried logging into Microsoft today. (somehow haven't thought about it after setting it up!) Passkey option seems to only appear on Chrome, macOS. I've tried Safari, then Firefox. Both browsers only offered password logins.

We've been able to reproduce the behaviors with passkey options in Microsoft not appearing in Safari and Firefox as well. From what we've observed, it seems like Microsoft does not support the creation of passkeys across all browsers, such as Safari. We're hoping that the feature will be available in all browsers as time passes and improvements are made.

As far as Firefox goes, it seems like there is limited support for passkeys. We've seen that the option to create passkeys on a number of websites appear in Chromium browsers but do not appear in Firefox. We recommend using Chromium browsers to save and sign in with passkeys for now, as that will offer the best experience.

When I was logging on on Chrome, I did notice Microsoft website immediately took the first login from 1Password without a prompt to choose which login to use. I actually have two accounts with Microsoft, one for personal, one for work. They are both saved on 1Password. Usually when I log on to any website , I get a selection of logins to choose from. Is there a way to have a similar prompt or popup for passkey?

I'm afraid that there is not yet a way to manually select a passkey from multiple passkeys in order to sign in to a website just yet. That being said, our developers are actively working on this, and hopefully there will be a solution for it soon.

While I don’t have any information or dates on when there will be a solution, I recommend keeping 1Password in your browser up-to-date to ensure you’re receiving the latest features and improvements to saving and using passkeys during this Open Beta:

As for PayPal, I'm not sure what's going on with them. I do have a US account, but I am currently staying abroad. Maybe PayPal is checking where I am connecting from? Hopefully PayPal will open passkey for all accounts soon.

It is possible that PayPal is checking your location. PayPal reference that passkeys are only available in certain countries in the following articles but do not specify which countries:

I would recommend reaching out to PayPal's Support team to see if they can provide more info. Let us know how that goes, if you do.

This discussion has been closed.