Google Passkeys

Options
shadowplayer
shadowplayer
Community Member
edited November 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

I’m able to create a passkey for google with 1Password and Chrome. But when I try to use that passkey it always defaults to the built-in passkeys with Windows Hello. I don’t see an option to use 1Passwords passkeys with Google—instead of the windows passkey. I don’t have this issue with other sites…just Google. Thanks

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited June 2023
    Options

Hello @shadowplayer! 👋

I'm sorry that you're having trouble logging into your Google account using a passkey. Do you see a button labeled Try another way? What happens when you press that?

If that doesn't work then, if you open chrome://settings/passwords in Chrome, do you see that "Offer to save passwords" is disabled? You should see a message that says that "1Password – Password Manager is controlling this setting".

Finally, do you happen to a period in your Google account email address? We're tracking an issue that might be related.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#22255

• clairernovotny
    clairernovotny
    Community Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

I am getting this same issue in Edge in the Dev and Production channels on Windows. I have the latest Beta app and Extension installed. I just get the system prompt. I don't have any saved passwords in Edge. 1Password is controlling the save password setting and I do not have a period in my Google account email address.

• rco
    rco
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem as the OP, but only with one of my three google accounts.

Of the other two, however, only one works, as the other is using the wrong pass key. It looks like it's trying to use the first pass key in the list.
    Let's say that I have 3 google accounts, g1, g2, and g3.
    g1 works fine with the pass key, g2 prompts me with the browser built in pass key prompt as the OP and g3 uses the pass key from g1.

• rco
    rco
    Community Member
    Options

I managed to find out why the browser prompts for the pass key, if you have automatically created passkeys (apparently android phones create one on login), you'll get the prompt.
    After I deleted the automatically created passkeys, 1password was able to use the passkey.

@shadowplayer you might want to check if you have such automatically created passkeys as well.

• oxalate
    oxalate
    Community Member
    Options

@rco, I don't see any option to delete the automatically-created passkey for my Android device. How did you delete that passkey?

• rco
    rco
    Community Member
    Options

@oxalate >

1.Go to your Google Account.
    2.On the left navigation panel, select Security.
    3.On the Your devices panel, select Manage all devices.
    4.Select the device and then Sign out.
    If multiple sessions appear with the same device name, they could all come from the same device or multiple devices. If you want to make sure there’s no account access from a device, sign out of all the sessions with this device name.

Source: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/13548313?hl=en#zippy=,remove-a-passkey
    Can be found under Remove a passkey automatically created by Android.

• oxalate
    oxalate
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

@rco, thanks; I didn't realise I needed to sign the Android device out.

I tried that, then logged out. When I try to log in again, Chrome prompts me to create a new passkey for Google, meaning that 1Password still isn't presenting my saved passkey. Meh.

• rco
    rco
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

@oxalate yeah, I forgot to mention that the passkey will be re-created once you login again using your android device, signing out is not really a valid fix for this anyway. It's up for 1password team (@Dave_1P) to figure this one out.

Question, you are doing all this on your android device correct? I was confused about you not being able to use the 1password passkey after removing the google autogenerated ones. But yes, if you are doing it on your android device, then you were doomed from the beginning because of the auto-generated passkey on login😅.

• oxalate
    oxalate
    Community Member
    Options

@rco, I was using Chrome on Windows 10 when I removed the Android passkey and then tried signing in again. 1Password had my Google passkey saved, but I couldn't get past the Chrome prompt for a physical key (a security key, or my phone), just as happened in my separate thread.

For now, I've just deleted the 1Password passkey from my Google account and from my 1PW login for Google. Maybe I'll try again if the 1PW folks announce that this behavior has been corrected, but until then I'm back to a password and 2FA. :-(

• rco
    rco
    Community Member
    Options

@oxalate weird, "it works on my machine" after I removed the autogenerated passkeys, I was on edge tho, maybe chrome having a better integration with google services creates a passkey through the browser as well 🤷‍♂️.
    In any case, I have already submitted a bug for this issue, I guess we need to play the waiting game now.

• oUNderge
    oUNderge
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hooray! My Google passkey with Chrome with the 1password browser extension finally works...the Google login dialog boxes present the button consistently. Here is how it happened: I decided to delete my previously created passkey and turn-off two factor authentication for my Google account because I noticed that the graphics in the Google login screens had been updated by Google. The only other feature that I would like is: turning off password autofill per item. Even though the filling of the password is masked it still seems like a potential security threat as well as not being "clean".

• oUNderge
    oUNderge
    Community Member
    Options

Passkey works consistently logging into my Google account using MS Edge also. I have never had so much for logging in, LOL.

• oxalate
    oxalate
    Community Member
    Options

It's all working again for me in Chrome; I set up a new passkey, stored it in 1Password, and can log in with it. Not sure whether this was a 1PW change or a Google change, but either way, it's nice to be back on passkey sign-in.

• hcawn
    hcawn
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

Still not working for me. I've cleared out all traces of passkeys from my google account. Attempting to add a passkey:

I'm only prompted to scan my fingerprint:

and under more choice is just PIN.
    This is a step back for me from the beta 1Password extension where this prompt opened 1passward and I was able to add a passkey to it (only never to use it as when prompted to login Google would ask for fingerprint / pin).

• Fydon
    Fydon
    Community Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

Bitwarden now has support for passkeys. It pops up first when trying to log into Google accounts using a passkey. It allows me to revert to browser, at which point other extensions or the default can take over, which for Google accounts results in the browser default similar to what is shown the last comment. For an account where I can use 1Password passkeys, Bitwarden still pops up first, but selecting browser allows 1Password's passkey prompt to appear. Given that Bitwarden is open source, I assume it is possible to review what they do differently on Windows to allow Google passkey sign ins.

I currently use Bitwarden for work and 1Password for personal use. I'm working on migrating the work to 1Password, but not there yet given the extra cost.

• adfhogan
    adfhogan
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah.. I'm having a similar issue. On Linux, Firefox'll happily use my 1PasswordX accessed passkey. On windows, however, when Google Workspace wants to sign back in again in Chrome, it'll only offer Windows Hello or my Android device or "another way".