Watchtower "passkeys available" is wrong / not in all cases right

Options
telephoneman2
telephoneman2
Community Member

the new Passkey section in watchtower should consider the regional instance where customer is logging in. Pages like Paypal or Microsoft don't offer passkeys in all regional instances of their service. e.g. Paypal seems just to have it rolled out in US and CA - but watchtower Telling to enable that in DE as well. But in DE it's not available. Sadly that there is not just ONE PayPal... But not sure if 1password can determine on which instance of their service its hosted. on Ebay it seems customers can enable this via accessing eBay.com, although they have their account on other country. While PayPal doesn't work ... so watchtower is bit too optimistic

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

Yeh, I am told that PayPal is available too but they are not available in the UK. This would be a nice fix.

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @telephoneman2 and @rctneil! 👋

Thank you for the feedback! I can certainly see how it would be useful to have a more granular Watchtower notification that provides better insight on whether an account and locale is eligible to use a passkey and I've filed an internal issue with the team to look into this further.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#22402

• mikesilva
    mikesilva
    Community Member
    Options

On these sites, you'll find that Security Key = Passkey, though they may only allow you to use it for 2FA, rather than an authenticator app, instead of completely handling login. However, some sites do indicate "Security Key" as though it's only a 2FA option, but you are then able to sign in with a passkey alone.

Not all sites have upgraded to allow Security Keys/Passkeys for complete 1 step login. However, even on those you can still create a security key, which 1Password will store as a Passkey, you can eliminate having to fill an auth key. Presumably, if they aren't knuckleheads about it, once a site enables 1 step passkey login, the passkey you setup via their security key option will 'just work' for complete login.

• Thanks folks. It's nice to see the community working together.

This discussion has been closed.