Passkeys on MacOS Safari

Options

I've been trying to get my head around passkeys with 1Password on my Mac with Safari:

1. I've downloaded the beta extension from TestFlight and made it active:
  2. I go to my google account and say I want to add a passkey:
  3. I click on create a passkey:
  4. Now do I create a passkey on this device or another device - another device gives me a QR Code thing, so I think not so I click 'continue':
  5. It now seems to want to use iCloud to create and store the passkey - where is the 1Password option - I click cancel

I am clearly missing something here?

1Password Version: 8.10.7
Extension Version: 2.12.0
OS Version: MacOS Ventura
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• GreyM1P
    Options

Hi there @cannfoddr

Can you check that "Offer to save and sign in with passkeys" is turned on in the Settings for 1Password's Safari extension? Here's what to do:

1. Click 1Password in the Safari toolbar.
    2. Click the (≡) three-line menu > Settings...
    3. In the Autofill section, check that "Offer to save and sign in with passkeys" is turned on.

While you're there, check that "Make 1Password the default password manager" is also turned on in the General section at the top.

If both of those are set as they should be already, let me know and we'll be here to help. :)

— Grey

• cannfoddr
    cannfoddr
    Community Member
    Options

it was "Make 1Password the default password manager" that was missing. I've created a passkey for google.

• @cannfoddr, thanks for the update.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

• Jan-Peter Koopmann
    Jan-Peter Koopmann
    Community Member
    Options

I have a similar problem. I upgraded the extension to 21400101. When a new passkey is supposed to be created nothing happens. Tried passkey.org. Chrome works like a charm but with safari all I get is a spinning wheel. No error. No popup. The above settings have been double checked.

• TBal
    TBal
    Community Member
    Options

I have a similar problem. But when I go to the autofill section, I don't get the "Offer to save and sign in with passkeys" option. I'm on the Production channel; do I have to wait for a future release?

• Hey @Jan-Peter Koopmann,

Do you still see the spinning wheel if you give these steps a try to reset the connection between your 1Password app and 1Password in Safari:

1. Right click the little 1Password icon on the top menu bar of your Mac (where the clock is) and select "Quit".
    2. Quit your browser by right clicking its icon in the Dock and selecting "Quit".
    3. Open and unlock 1Password.
    4. Open your browser and test if it is working properly.

@TBal, in order to use passkeys you will need to install the beta version of 1Password in your browser. Here's how: Use 1Password beta releases.

I hope this helps.

• Jan-Peter Koopmann
    Jan-Peter Koopmann
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @steph.giles ,

thanks. It looks as if it is working currently. Thanks!

• Thanks for the update @Jan-Peter Koopmann.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all.

This discussion has been closed.