Force TFA every time

Options
shmd9999
shmd9999
Community Member

I use 1Password on my iMac through safari and chrome extensions. I want to be forced to use TFA every time I access the browser. How do I force this to happen?

Comments

• ag_max
    Options

Hi @shmd9999, welcome to the 1Password Support Community. 👋

I use 1Password on my iMac through safari and chrome extensions. I want to be forced to use TFA every time I access the browser. How do I force this to happen?

Being prompted to use two-factor authentication every time you unlock 1Password currently is not an option. The 1Password two-factor authentication feature is designed to provide an additional authentication step on top of the already-established encryption verification that users must go through (the prompt for authentication appears after users have already provided valid encryption details). It's designed to provide one additional challenge to devices that have never been used to access a user's account before.

After a user successfully passes both encryption and authentication challenges, the user's unique Secret Key is added to that device, and the device becomes authorized, so future sign-ins will require just the account password, as the Secret Key will be present.

More about our security model can be found in the articles linked below:

About the 1Password security model

Secret Key Security

If you do want to be required to pass an additional authentication step more frequently, and if using 1Password Business or Teams, you could look at setting up the Duo integration for your 1Password account. Duo is a third-party authentication service; when set up with 1Password, each of your users will be required to re-authenticate each of their devices once every 1 to 30 days (configurable).

This discussion has been closed.