Second Private Vault within an account

Options
JohnCHome
JohnCHome
Community Member

Looking for the ability to create a second private vault not visible to others including family administrators. Is this possible today? Can this be a feature request if I'm correct in it being unavailable as an option? There are a number of use cases for such a request and I'm trying to avoid having to switch between accounts.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @JohnCHome !

By default, you should have one private vault and a shared vault. You could create a new vault, that is automatically your own vault, not visible to other family members. If you want to share a vault, you have to do it manually.

Maybe this article could help in your case?
    Create and share vaults

• JohnCHome
    JohnCHome
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, that's true. However, can a second private be created that is not subject to "All family organizers can also manage this vault." restriction? That's basically what I'm asking for.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Now I know what you mean ...

But to be honest, it looks like it isn't possible to change or remove this restriction. 🤔

• Hi @JohnCHome,

You're correct that this behavior is not currently possible; I’d appreciate if you could share more information about this feature request.

It’s helpful to know why this is important and how you would use this feature in 1Password, so I can share your suggestions with the appropriate team for consideration.

• JohnCHome
    JohnCHome
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_josephine

Basically, it feels like all the underlying code is written and a choice just needs to be exposed to permit the setting to simulate the private vault that is there by default ;)

My use case is simply that I'd like to have a vault that is not subject to management by family organizers (eg, they can't set sharing rights) AND that allows me to group objects without co-mingling them in one private vault. An example where this is desired could be working with consulting clients -- I'd like to isolate to a vault per client, and not have this information exposed to family members. I understand I could put them all in a single vault, but then I may be presented with multiple entries for a site (by client)

Another use case would be personal vs trust banking/investment information. Keeping the two separate for convenience, yet not allowing others to manage.

I understand the logic behind having family organizers being people you trust. And, that's just fine - I expect to share that role with at least one other in the family so the group retains access and can administer should something untimely happen to me. However, as others have indicated in other posts I've seen, there's a different level of wanting to have all information visible at all times, and keeping data private. I want to leverage the vault concept to organize my data as is the general model, without having to choose between organizational convenience and the privacy and security of vault contents. It's really a way to elevate groupings beyond tags and may be how I could actually see collections being useful without sacrificing privacy.

Likewise, expanding this one step further, the "Shared with All Family Members" vault has code already present. Why not expose this too?

As I envision, vaults should have permissions that permit setting one or more that are:
    - Private, individual user only, and non-transferrable/recoverable - This exists today for one vault, and just needs to be a global option
    - Family Organizer management ability if an organizer requests and "is granted" access to ANY vault by the vault owner OR after a configured duration elapses (classic incapacitated and unable to respond within x days)
    - Family Organizer management ability - This exists today
    - Shared with specific granted users - This exists today
    - Shared with all family members - This exists today for one vault, and just needs to be a global option

As a user with rights others don't have, I've always had a "run over by a truck" folder in my safe at home that can be turned over to my employer by a family member. That could be your recovery key information, but why not build it into the system? If I configure a vault to be released after 15 days, that probably helps my family get through the time I'm in the hospital and somebody needs banking information to pay the bills without trying to find a saved PDF or paper to get that information.

Implementing some additional rights fits the model of least access, flexibility in vault organization AND allows recovery of information. And, they become choices that allow people to tighten things down as they see fit.

Minimally, my request is to expose the Private and Shared with Everyone flags to more than one vault as that code is mostly there today based on the current features.

Hope this helps sell the concepts here. I'm happy to discuss with team members if it moves the request along!

• JohnCHome
    JohnCHome
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, one more reason to grant some flexibility in vault type - There are at least 2-3 posts I've seen in the last two days about changing a vault's type -- right now, it's only a move operation!

• ag_josephine
    edited June 2023
    Options

@JohnCHome,

While I can't make any promises, I've filed a feature request internally to bring this to the attention of our team. They regularly review feature requests from our customers to consider what should be added or changed to future versions of 1Password. Your feedback, along with feedback from our other customers, helps them immensely with their planning.

Thank you again for your suggestion, we appreciate your feedback and love hearing from you - Please let me know if you ever have other ideas on how we could improve 1Password or if there is anything else I can help you out with!

• diegosoto
    diegosoto
    Community Member
    Options

I support this too! I think it's weird that you can make more than one vault, and share or not share them as you please, but only one vault can truly be private. What is the point of allowing a family organizer to "manage" a vault that isn't shared with them? What does that look like in practice?

• @diegosoto,

Thank you for your feedback as well; I've passed it along as well!

• pharo
    pharo
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, I've been looking for the same functionality as @JohnCHome and @diegosoto.

@ag_josephine
    Do you have any updates on whether this evolution is feasible in the not-so-distant future?

Thank you !

• @pharo

My apologies, no, we do not have any updates.

• arcezd
    arcezd
    Community Member
    Options

This one is also important to me, I thought additional vaults were "private" by default, not managed by family organizers by default.

• ag_tommy
    edited March 23
    Options

Thanks for letting us know this interests you @arcezd I've shared that with the team.

ref: PB-38936448