To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How to do things in membership that I did before standalone

Options
linberl
linberl
Community Member

So I finally switched to membership. There's a couple of things that don't work the same and basically don't work for me at all but I assume it's lack of knowing how to do it. First, I used to click on "conflict copy" of my name and it would automatically fill in the name/address/etc fields on a web page. It doesn't do that now - if I click on "conflict copy" it open the specific login and I have to copy & paste each field. Ugh. Second, I used to just double click the login name and it would automatically launch the web page. It doesn't do that now; I have to open the login and then click on the website link. Lots of extra clicking, which is kind of annoying, lol. Third, it doesn't fill in things that are not in a browser. The standalone would fill in the logins for my steam game and other non-browser things, but the membership one doesn't do that - more copy and paste. What am I doing wrong?

1Password Version: 8.10.7
Extension Version: 2.11.0
OS Version: mac ventura
Browser:_ edge

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

As far as I see it, you don't have any specific membership issue, but instead you are confused about new behavior of the version 8 client in comparison to your previous client.
    I don't understand which function you mean with "conflict copy" (seems you translated some other language to English), however the best workflow for autofilling website logins is this:

• install the desktop app as well as the browser plugin and activate the desktop app integration in the browser plugin. This way the browser plugin inherits the desktop app unlock.
    • in the browser, use the integrated favorites function of the browser and create favorites for all of your websites
    • if you want to visit some website that requires a login, use the browser favorites. On the login page, the 1Password browser login will pick this website internally and offer autofill for username and password, which you can use with 1 click. You don't need to search. Don't use the 1Password app as favorite list, don't use the "open and fill" function of the desktop app to open some website, don't use copy+paste of credentials. If you're doing it right, and every item in your 1Password list of items has the proper url configured, you never need to open the desktop app if you just want to login to some website, and you never even need to search for items in the browser plugin. You just use the browser favorites, and 1Password just assists with autofill in background.
    • if you need to create a new website login, just create the login on the website. 1Password will pop up while creating a new password and offer saving to a new login item. No need to explicitly change to the desktop app and explicitly create a new item and copy+paste data from the website form into it.

How 1Password handles logins to desktop apps I cannot help with, this seems different between Windows and Mac, and I only know how it works on Windows.

• linberl
    linberl
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, so I have to create browser favorites for all my websites, not awful, just crowds the list for sites I only use once in a while; I don't normally make favorites for things I won't use regularly. Thanks for clarifying that, it's just different than my previous method with the standalone - I am sure I will adjust to it. However, I still need to know how I use 1P to fill in non-browser things like my VPN log in or Steam, etc.? It does not offer to fill those. The standalone didn't just work in the browser; I could double click the 1P and it would fill in non-browser stuff. Also, it does not offer to fill in my address and info on forms in browsers - how do I get it to do that? Hopefully someone will be able to explain that to me. It's just different and I've used standalone forever.

• Hi @linberl,

I'd be happy to have one of our experts assist in helping you set up the 1Password Extension further, to avoid sharing your account information here, can you send us an email to support+forum@agilebits.com from your account's registered email address so we can continue the conversation there.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

This discussion has been closed.