Hi, I'm new and I have couple questions that I could not find answer please help me :)

Options
guardianwater9586
guardianwater9586
Community Member
edited June 2023 in Windows
  1. secret key is needed only when I want to recover my account for example forgot password? or login on new device also?
  2. when I recovering my account with secret key its 2FA needed to enter?
  3. 2FA is needed to login on new device, always or can I set it up?
  4. authorized device don't need 2fa or what?
  5. when I lost access to 2FA let's say it's app on the phone and it is my only 2FA what can I do?
  6. with my email can I reset password like on other services?
  7. should I store my 1pass on 1pass?

1Password Version: 1Password for Windows 8.10.7 (81007041)
Extension Version: 2.11.0
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser:_ Brave

Comments

• GreyM1P
    Options

Hi there @guardianwater9586

1. secret key is needed only when I want to recover my account for example forgot password? or login on new device also?

Your Secret Key is used when you sign in to 1Password on a device, or 1Password.com, for the first time. After that, you can unlock it using only your account password.

It is not a recovery key or a backup password for your account. You need both your Secret Key and account password to sign in.

About your Secret Key

1. when I recovering my account with secret key its 2FA needed to enter?

If a Family Organizer is recovering your access to 1Password, you choose a new account password, you'll get a new Emergency Kit and your two-factor authentication will be reset. You can then set up two-factor authentication again.

Recover accounts for family or team members

1. 2FA is needed to login on new device, always or can I set it up?

Two-factor authentication is used when you sign in to a device (or 1Password.com) for the first time. After that, you use your account password to unlock it. Two-factor authentication is designed to prevent someone unauthorised from signing in as you on another device, even if they somehow had your email address, Secret Key, and account password.

1. authorized device don't need 2fa or what?

After you've signed in to 1Password on a device, you unlock it with your account password. Depending on your device, you could use biometrics to do this instead:

1. when I lost access to 2FA let's say it's app on the phone and it is my only 2FA what can I do?

If you're still signed in to 1Password on one of your devices, or you can sign in to 1Password.com, you can turn off two-factor authentication and set it up again.

1. with my email can I reset password like on other services?

No, you can't reset your own 1Password account password, so it's important you remember your account password and keep a copy of your Emergency Kit, with your account password written on it, somewhere safe in case you need it. If you're using 1Password for work, an Admin can recover your access. If you're using 1Password Families, a Family Organizer can recover your access.

Please note: If you're the only Family Organizer on a 1Password Families account, you can't recover yourself, so you should nominate another person in the family to be a Family Organizer too.

1. should I store my 1pass on 1pass?

It already is, as part of your Starter Kit. You'll see a Login item called "1Password Account" which contains all the same information as your Emergency Kit. If you don't need it, you can delete it, but we put it there to begin with so that you have a reference in case you forget your account password but can still unlock 1Password on one of your devices with biometrics.

I hope that answers everything but let me know if I can help any further. :)

— Grey

This discussion has been closed.