Upgrading when there are multiple Windows Users on Computer

Options
DoctorBrown
DoctorBrown
Community Member
edited June 2023 in Windows

On a Windows 10 system, I have recently upgraded from Win-1P7 v7.9.833 to Win-1P8 v8.10.7 on my primary Windows std user. After a couple hiccups, I believe it is working correctly. I am on the Family plan with 3 users configured. My user/account is the Organizer. One of the other users is mostly for testing various scenarios.

After the Upgrade to 1P8, I logged on to the Windows user where I use that second 1P user. I have not logged in to this user for awhile. When I went to the Start menu to launch the app, 1P did not appear in the list of All Programs. So I downloaded and attempted to install 8.10.7, the latest on the 1P site. The following message appeared:

I opened Control Panel > Programs and Features and 1Password is listed as version 7.9.828. I was pretty sure I didn't want to attempt an update to v7.9.833 so I tried to uninstall it and got the following message:

That is where I'm at. I'm pretty sure I can clean up the mess by manually deleting the ghost install, but I'm not sure how 1P8 install will react. I thought I'd check here and see if there is something I did incorrectly or that should be looked at to see how I got in the mess and how to best get out.

Also, I'd also like to hear how 1P is suppose to work if you have a shared computer with multiple user and multiple 1P users.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:multiple windows users

Comments

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @DoctorBrown!

That is where I'm at. I'm pretty sure I can clean up the mess by manually deleting the ghost install, but I'm not sure how 1P8 install will react. I thought I'd check here and see if there is something I did incorrectly or that should be looked at to see how I got in the mess and how to best get out.

The upgrade process requires the latest version of 1Password 7, as the installer for 1Password 8 will check it for any data that might need to be migrated, before removing this version and continuing with the installation. Is 1Password 7 still installed and working despite the uninstallation error? If so, could you unlock it, go to 1Password > Settings > Update, check for and install any available updates, and then try to run the 1Password 8 installer again?

If you're not able to launch 1Password 7, could you make sure you are able to log in at 1Password.com and have a complete and up-to-date set of your data there, and then try removing 1Password's local data, following the steps provided at the bottom of our uninstallation guide linked below. After this, attempt to install 1Password 8 again.

Also, I'd also like to hear how 1P is suppose to work if you have a shared computer with multiple user and multiple 1P users.

Only one family member account under the family umbrella can be added to the same app at a time. To sign into a different account within the same family, you would first need to sign out of the account that is currently added to the app.

As such, if you'll be using more than one family member account on this computer on a regular basis, our usual recommendation would be to use a separate Windows user profile for each account, with 1Password installed in each. As 1Password 8 is a per-user installation, the desktop app (and browser extension) will need to be installed separately in each Windows user account.

Let me know how this goes, or if you have any further questions!

• DoctorBrown
    DoctorBrown
    Community Member
    Options

Hello again, @1P_Gem,

Thank you for the detail of how to recover this. I did attempt to do the steps you outlined. However, I was not successful in resolving the issue. The process described in the link you send does not resolve this situation. Also, I don't think I explained the situation adequately.
    I am aware that each Windows user can only access one 1Password account and/or Family user (but I can log in to My.1Password.com as either 1P User). The total situation is:

• My primary Windows user is, say, 'John' and the 1Password user is, say, '1P-john'.
    • My secondary Windows user is 'Bob' and the 1Password user is '1P-Bob'
    • In the year 2021 1P v7.9.828 was installed. At the time I had both '1P-John' and '1P-Bob' up and running on my Family account.
    • Sometime later, while logged in to the Windows 'John' account 1P was updated to v7.9.833. And then on 06-13-2023 1P v8 was installed in the 'John' account. All indications are that '1P-John' was fully functional.
    • I later logged in to the 'Bob' account and attempted to run 1P. 1P was not found in the Start menu.
    • I attempted to install 1P v8 in the 'Bob' account. That when I encountered the situation in my first post. The 1P v8 installer reported that I needed to first update to 1P v7.9.833. But 1P v7 was no longer installed, But it is listed as installed in Windows Control Panel and Settings.
    • Since the 'John' user was running 1P v8.10.7, I did not want to try and install v7.9.833. Instead, I tried to uninstall 1P while in the 'Bob' account. But Windows reported that the program was not found. But when I tried to install v8.10.7, it thinks v7.9.828 is still installed.

So now user 'John' is able to run v8.10.7 and all looks normal, but user 'Bob' has remnants of v7.9.828, that it seems must be removed. As you see from the message Windows displayed when I tried to uninstall 1P from the Control Panel it seem to I should allow Windows to remove 1Password from the list of installed programs.

There is something about how Windows manages applications installed globally or for multiple windows users that are not handled adequately. I will try again and allow Windows to remove the 1Password from the programs list and see if that solves the situation.

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @DoctorBrown! Thanks for giving this a go, although I'm sorry to hear that it didn't help.

If you find that you're still running into trouble after removing it from the program list, could you email in to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread, and your forum username, so our team can dig into this further with you? Once you get a support ID number, post it here so we can connect the dots. Thanks! 😄

• DoctorBrown
    DoctorBrown
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @1P_Gem, The Windows uninstall of 1Password v7 was successful. And the install of 1Password v8.10.7 was also successful. So no need for a Support Ticket.
    Thanks for listening to me. I wanted to make sure, in case the issue was more serious, that I was able to collect whatever data was needed to inform your team of the issue. Or provide data to update your knowledge base in case other users encounter a similar condition.
    Good day,
    Doc

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @DoctorBrown! I'm so pleased to hear that all is now working well - thanks for reaching back out with an update 😄

This discussion has been closed.