Delay when unlocking 1Password in Safari

Options
peterscanlan
peterscanlan
Community Member
edited June 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

When opening 1Password for Mac 8.10.7 on Safari a page comes saying "Open 1Password", then an irritating delay in opening the login page.

1Password Version: 8.10.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MACOS Monterey 12.6.6
Browser:_ Safari
Referrer: forum-search:Why on 1Password for Mac 8.10..7 is there a delay in opening login page

Comments

• Hey @peterscanlan,

I'm sorry for the trouble you are having with 1Password in Safari. Does the behaviour improve after following the steps below:?

1. Right click the little 1Password icon on the top menu bar of your Mac (where the clock is) and select "Quit".
    2. Quit your browser by right clicking its icon in the Dock and selecting "Quit".
    3. Open and unlock 1Password.
    4. Open your browser and test if it is working properly.

Let me know how you get on,

• peterscanlan
    peterscanlan
    Community Member
    Options

That seemed to work. When I click on the 1Password extension in Sarari both windows, the "Open 1Password" and the login window, come up simultaneously without the delay

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@peterscanlan I'm glad to hear that helped! Please keep an eye on things and if the issue returns, please let us know. We are always happy to help.

• peterscanlan
    peterscanlan
    Community Member
    Options

The problem has returned. When I click the 1Password extension in Safari, what first appears is the icon of a person with "Open 1Password". When I click on it there is a delay of some time that varies before the 1Password login page comes up. Previously with 1Password there was no "Open 1Password" page that came up. I assume this was added for some reason with an update. It is annoying. Also, I don't believe that the 1Password icon used to appear in the top menu bar of my Mac.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2023
    Options

@peterscanlan sorry to hear that the issue has returned. I'm happy to help further.

Previously with 1Password there was no "Open 1Password" page that came up. I assume this was added for some reason with an update. It is annoying.

For some context, 1Password 7 came with a built-in extension for Safari. That extension worked with the app to save and fill your data. That extension was not standalone, and from a technical perspective, it was dependent on the app. This is completely different from the new 1Password for Safari extension and 1Password 8.

1Password for Safari was built as a standalone extension, which means it can be used without the app. It is modeled after the new 1Password extension in the other browsers. Our goal was to have the same extension on the front end and on the backend to provide for a unifying experience across all browsers.

1Password for Safari connects to the 1Password 8 app through a feature called shared lock state. That's where the "Open 1Password" prompt comes from. With the shared lock state feature, you can sign into the app and you'd also be signed into the extension. That feature was added to improve the unlocking process, so that you would not have to sign in to the app and extension separately.

Unfortunately, there are a number of settings, third party extensions, and third party programs that can interfere with the shared lock state process used to connect the extension and app. When that happens, it can create an issue such as the one you're seeing.

To investigate what's happening on your end further, I'd like to ask a few questions:

• Do you have any other extensions installed in Safari? If so, what are they?

• Do you have any anti-virus or anti-malware programs on your computer?

• Do you use a firewall, proxy, or VPN?

Also, I don't believe that the 1Password icon used to appear in the top menu bar of my Mac.

Hmm as long as I've used 1Password 7 (over three years), the 1Password icon has appeared in the top menu bar of my Mac. So this doesn't appear to be a new behavior that started with 1Password 8.

That said, if you wish to not have the 1Password icon there, you can turn off the 'Keep 1Password in the menu bar' in the app settings. I just don't particularly recommend it, as having the app run in the background will allow the extension to stay unlocked and be more responsive. It ultimately provides for a smoother experience and can provide relief for the current shared lock state issue that you're seeing.

Let me know if you still want to turn off 'Keep 1Password in the menu bar'. I look forward to hearing from you again.

• peterscanlan
    peterscanlan
    Community Member
    Options

I think that I have resolved it. I clicked on the menu bar icon thinking to remove it and saw in settings that I could change the setting to have it open the login page directly. So I will do that rather than click the extension in Safari.

• Thanks for getting back to us @peterscanlan, let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all.

This discussion has been closed.