1P not filling the boxes

Options
Andrew42
Andrew42
Community Member
edited August 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

If this is not the right forum for this, please move it.

For the last week or so I have frequent occurrences of 1P not filling the user name and/or password. It opens the log in page then stops. Hovering over the username box does not trigger any suggestion from 1P. This happened when I tried to log onto the forum just now.

My solution is to shut down 1P and log back in and try again, repeating as necessary. Eventually it works.

Any thoughts??

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Andrew42, sorry to hear about the filling issues. To better understand what's happening, and to provide the best advice in moving forward, I'd like to ask a few questions:

• What browser are you using and what version is it?
    • What version of the 1Password extension is installed?
    • Are you filling by clicking on "open and fill" from the 1Password app?
    • If not, what specific steps are you taking?
    • Do you see the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar?
    • If so, what happens when you click on it?

I look forward to hearing from you about this.

• dave99t
    dave99t
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Joy, I'm having a very similar problem, so can I piggy back here by answering your questions?
    Browser Chrome
    1 Password version 8.10.7
    Using 'Open & Fill'
    Icon in browser toolbar
    Clicking on the icon opens 1pw if it's not open already.
    MY ISSUE
    I've just migrated from Last Pass and all of my items came across without any apparent problem.
    I'm in the process of creating new passwords for each website but one website will not autofill despite all of my efforts.
    I've:-
    Uninstalled/ reinstalled 1Password
    Cleared the cookies from the webites cache.

Suggestions would be appreciated.
    Dave

• Hey @dave99t,

Can you point me at the specific website you are having difficulty with so I can do some testing?

Thank you!

• dave99t
    dave99t
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Steph,
    The web address is https://explore.osmaps.com/
    I appreciate your help.
    Dave

• Hey @dave99t,

Thank you for sharing this, I have done some testing and found I was able to fill the fields after following the below steps:

1. Go to the log in page
    2. Manually enter your log in details but don't click enter or sign in.
    3. Right click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose 'Save Login'
    4. Give it a title and click Save.
    5. Now refresh the page and see if you are able to fill.

Let us know how you get on.

• dave99t
    dave99t
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Steph,
    I'm still struggling I'm afraid.
    In Google I typed 'Ordnance Survey maps on line log in', and from the options, selected:-
    https://osmaps.com/en-GB/ and got the screen dump below.

At the top of the page I clicked on Maps which passed me to the next image

This is the page which I normally start in when accessing Ordnance survey maps. However at the moment I have to use this circuitous route to get to it.
    Clicking on log in gets me to the log in page.
    I then filled in my details and used the 1Password icon to save them.

This is now available in 1Password (screen dump below):-

Clicking on the Open & Fill of this item opens a page which is blank except for a one line message:-
    'The resource you are looking for has been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. (screen dump below)
    https://ordnancesurveyidentity.b2clogin.com/?exmdp6hkdotumcp5go3gb36g4i=4vytfsgpmucnuu2i277wmt4mtq
    Dave

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

Edge 114.0.1823.58 (64 bit)
    Extension 2.12.0
    Yes I fill by clicking on Open and Fill in the app
    Yes I see the icon in the toolbar and it works as it should although it takes a while to recognise that the Desktop app is unlocked.

Thank you for your help.

• Hey @dave99t,

You're right, because of the way in which this website is built 1Password is unable to Open and Fill your credentials.

You should be able to fill them after following the steps above if you go directly to the login page and then click into the fields and choose the 1Password suggestion that appears beneath them.

I'm sorry for the trouble.

Thank for you getting back to us @Andrew42, can you let me know if things are faster for you after a restart or is the behaviour the same?

Do the credentials eventually fill?

• dave99t
    dave99t
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Steph,
    Thanks for looking into this for me.
    Further to your comments:-

'You should be able to fill them after following the steps above if you go directly to the login page and then click into the fields and choose the 1Password suggestion that appears beneath them.'

Although I get the 1Password logo in the user name and password boxes, nothing appears there.

One final thought.
    I've recently arrived in 1P from Last Pass, and everything imported fine.
    I've kept LP live during the changeover.
    BUT
    Once a website has a new password in 1P, I've deleted the site from Last Pass including LP's archives.
    Could this be an issue?
    Dave

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry to be a bore but does anyone have thoughts about what I can do to stop an increasingly boring problem?
    I'm delighted @dave99t is getting help: I'd appreciate some too.

• @Andrew42

I apologize it looks like your posting slipped through the cracks. If you're continuing to have trouble please email us using support+forum@1password.com. Be sure to use the email address tied to the account in question.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

Tks. I'm still facing the problem intermittently.

• r8ders2k
    r8ders2k
    Community Member
    Options

I was going to add to this thread, but a restart seemed to restore 1Password functionality.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

To be more specific:

I have already reported a time lag between entering my Passport password in the Windows app and the Browser icon changing from locked to open Maybe these two issues are connected.

What I can state is that the problem I have with the boxes not filling occurs more when I select an website in the desktop rather than selecting by using the browser icon.

I have some sites in my browser favorites, ( I use Edge). The problem frequently occurs when I select the web site by clicking on the entry in my browser favorites bar.

I hope I am being clear and helpful. I do not pretend to know exactly how to name the various key points: Windows App, Browser icon, Browser Favorites for example.

The key fact for me is that when the problem occurs and the boxes are not filled, hovering the pointer over the box does not help as 1P neither suggests an entry in my vault nor fulfils the details.

I am not unable to enter any site. I just have to try various ways when the problem occurs.

• Thanks for getting back to me with that info @Andrew42.

In order to better understand what's going wrong, can you capture a screen recording of the behaviour you described and attach it to an email message addressed to support@1password.com. With your email please include:

A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/140952/1p-not-filling-the-boxes
    Your forum username: @Andrew42

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

Sadly my PC hardware cannot run Win +Alt + R. Any other ideas?

• Hi @Andrew42,

My suggestion would be trying either Loom or Recordit. Let us know if you are still having trouble.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. I have installed Loom. Now to see if I can make a video that makes sense!

• Thanks for continuing to work with this @Andrew42 Please send that video to support@1password.com in order to preserve your privacy here in the community. Don't forget to obscure any sensitive details/passwords etc,. We do not want those. They are for you alone.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

I have NOT forgotten you. I am trying, not very successfully to install and use Loom. Signing in using Google is not working very well: remember I need to create a video when 1P is not working to show you the time lag between signing into 1P in the app and the browser icon reflecting that. I think I've recorded a video but cant find it to review it!!

Keep the Faith.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

https://www.loom.com/share/bb4f839009b442c09bdaf2a3a36a7ea8?sid=61497e77-a312-4b4f-8f42-c50c4b8d03ac

Here is the link to the video I made. It shows me logging into the Windows Desktop app, Going to my Internet Start Page where you will see the browser app is not unlocked.

Once I've waited a while I click the browser icon. What happens then is not normal, for me, usually when I click the icon it tries to open 1P and just goes on on on without anything happening.

Normally, I drop out of the browser trying to open, go back to the desktop app, return to the internet and the icon registers open,

While the browser icon is not unlocked I cannot access any site even via the desktop app.

I hope this helps.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

I have had no response to my last comment. I believe my video has been accessed. I still have the problem, either:
    1. I unlock 1P on my desktop and the icon on my browsers stays locked. When that happens I cannot open any site when using 1P on the desktop.
    2. Sometimes the web site icon shows unlocked after about 20 seconds, other times it never unlocks.
    3. If I click on the locked browser icon it either opens 1P and I can see my favorites or it does nothing at all.
    4. When I have unlocked 1P on my desktop and the web icon also shows unlocked accessing web sites via the browser icon is easier and quicker that accessing the same web site via 1P desktop.
    5. I have had instances when after showing unlocked, the web site icon changes from the full blown unlocked status to something intermediate. I.E. the browser icon does not show a locked sign and does show the fully unlocked browser sign either but some smaller less defined icon. When that occurs, which is occasionally, I cannot open any web site either via 1P desktop or via the icon on the the web browser even though 1P on the desktop is unlocked. When that happens I have two choices: wait to see if the browser recovers or shut down 1P and start again.
    6. Apart from concluding that something is wrong in the State of Rome, I have also concluded that the status of the web site icon controls if 1P desktop will work or not.

I hope that is clear

• Hi @Andrew42,

I'm so sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

It looks like your 1Password app may be having a hard time connecting with your browser.

I'd like to ask you to send over a console log from your browser as well as a diagnostics report so our team can take a closer look at what may be going wrong. Here's how:

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thank you!

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

I sent these on July 21st to Support+forum@1Password.com. I never got any acknowledgement, even from BitBot.

I will send again, today.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

This time I have a response:
    For your reference, this is your support ID:
    [#LFY-71213-481]
    Let me know if it contains what you need. My was my first time to generate a console log so I am not sure if this is what is wanted.

• Thank you @Andrew42, I have located your support ticket.

A member of the team will be in touch soon, thank you for your patience.

ref: LFY-71213-481

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

@steph.giles. I have not yet been contacted. Not to worry. Yesterday my computer would randomly and frequently go to sleep. In the end I have reinstalled Windows 10 and am currently adding back all the software that did not come with the computer: Happy Days. But, it will let me understand if my issue was in fact based on a w1ndows vulnerabilty. Incidentally setting up IP on the Destop is not particularly straightforward as the basic url is set to IP.com with no other suggestions but we, here in Europe use *.eu so we have to know to make the change or1P will not recognise the input.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

@steph.giles . I confirm that by re-installing Windows 10 the problem seems to have solved itself. I suppose my Windows was, in someway, corrupted.
    Years ago a support technician from another company advised me to do a complete, clean reinstall of my computer every six months to get rid of all the stuff that gets loaded in between and which can cause problems. I stopped doing that a while back because it takes three to four hours to get back to normal. But I think I will restart reinstalling Windows which is less than he recommended but seems to have cleared up a number of niggly issue I have been shaving.
    Thank you for you help.

• @Andrew42

I'm happy to hear that you were able to resolve the issue. Thank you for this feedback as well:

Incidentally setting up IP on the Destop is not particularly straightforward as the basic url is set to IP.com with no other suggestions but we, here in Europe use *.eu so we have to know to make the change or1P will not recognise the input.

I've passed your experience along to the team internally so that we can look into improving the sign in process in the future.

Since the original issue is resolved I'm closing this thread. If you do run into the same issue again then please reply to my colleague's last email to you and they can help further. 🙂

-Dave

ref: LFY-71213-481
    ref: 35092004

This discussion has been closed.