Sharing some observations + feedback from managing a family account

Options
thelazycoder
thelazycoder
Community Member

Hi all and 1P team,

I'm a family plan user, with a family of 4 which includes me, my sister, my dad and my mom. I also create and use a secondary account for sharing some credentials at work. First of all, I super appreciate all the hard work 1Password team is doing and I hope to continue using this product for many years to come.

That said, I can't help but feel frustrated in many ways using 1Password in a family context such as mine and I wanted to share what they are and if there are workarounds which are better or if it needs to be taken as feedback for product improvement. I'd love others' thoughts into this as well.

Problem 1: Lots of duplicate credentials!

If I want to share credentials with my entire family, I can easily do that my adding to the Family Vault. But, what if I want to just share some credentials with my Dad or just with my sister? Or few credentials with my work account? This is where pain comes in. Currently, one credential can only live in a single vault and not across multiple vaults. So, if I need to share an account with my sister but also want access from my work account, I need to have two vaults: "Shared with Sis", "Shared with Work" and have two credentials live in these. Or I have to create another vault "Shared with Sis + Work" and share it there. You can imagine the permutations of vault names I need to create if I gotta have such sharing needs.

Currently, there is a share option for a given credential but it's only for sharing outside 1Password.

Feedback 1: it'd be great if I could stop duplicating credentials and not rely on just vaults for sharing. I'd love to have the ability to keep the same credentials but share it with members of the family individually.

Feedback 2: In the same way, it'd also be nice if I could share the same credentials across multiple vaults.

Problem 2: My parents prefer to write their passwords into notes 😅

My Dad/Mom both used to write their passwords into OneNote/Google Keep. Even though I migrated it in one go to secure note and some into proper credentials initially, and even though I've shown them how to add a new password into 1Password, they still struggle to do this and on a good day, they add it to secured note and most other times, they just revert back to adding to their favorite note-taking application.

I just wanted to share this since I've pretty much failed to "teach" and I feel this points to opportunities to make it easier for such folks to use. Given GPT and stuff, I'm wondering if there's a way to give a friendlier interface alternative for folks like my Dad and Mom?

Feedback 1: Intelligently parse and import handwritten notes with usernames and passwords in bulk
Feedback 2: alternative/simpler UI for less technically-abled folks?

Problem 3: I'm the IT guy in the house

But I find it difficult to do that management for my Dad and Mom when they are stuck with something. I wish there was such a designation in 1Password so that my Dad/Mom could let me handle updating passwords, adding new ones into their account on their behalf? Right now, if I'm away from them, and I need to create a new Apple account for my Dad let's say, I gotta add one into the vault shared with my Dad and call it "[Dad's Name] Apple" to differentiate from my Apple account. I have a couple of these credentials created already so my own autofill gets messed up.

Problem 4: Dad/Mom doesn't remember the master password and gets stuck when 1Password sometimes ask it to (Related to #3)

Even though I've set to "Never" to not ask for the master password for my Mom and Dad's devices, there are times 1Password still locks up and doesn't work with the fingerprint/touch ID mechanisms until that password is entered again. This also causes problems cause I'd personally prefer that their master passwords are secure and not something stupid simple to social engineer. But that makes it difficult for them to remember and type it in when they call me to ask for it.

Feedback: ability to unlock a family members' account on their behalf remotely

I'm sure there's more but that's all I can remember for now and would love it if this feedback can be considered into making the product better for all of us. I've also signed up for the research program so I'm happy to keep the feedback coming in.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• dkg
    dkg
    Community Member
    Options

Great comments about some of the challenges caused by 1Password protocols - - So where is a useful answer from 1P team ??

• MissOrganisation
    MissOrganisation
    Community Member
    Options

I am also the IT gal in my family and all family members drove me nuts with their lack of ability to consistantly use 1Password. I gave up. Older family members needing an easy interface is real