Password suggestions take a lot to appear

Options
xiscosc
xiscosc
Community Member
edited June 2023 in Android

For a few days, I don't get any suggestions to fill passwords in Android.

If I disable autofill and enable it again it works for a few minutes and then stops.

If I go over the user and password fields on a website lots of times it ends up showing, but it can take up a minute or more. It happens to me on all websites and apps. Here you have a video: https://streamable.com/0ypub6

1Password Version: 8.10.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 13 / Pixel 6 / June feature drop
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• xiscosc
    xiscosc
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

I also noticed that after a long press in the password field, the autofill (next to paste, copy...) option does not show up.

• Hi @xiscosc, thanks for writing in and letting us know about this issue on your device.

I did some testing with Octopus Energy in Chrome. While I did notice some odd behavior (email field was not always filled), the prompt to fill and autofill itself all occurred in a timely manner.

From Settings > Autofill I'd like to ask you to set "Display Autofill prompts" to "Below the fields they relate to" and "Show filling suggestions" off. With that change of settings does the prompt and filling now occur right away?

If not, could you try a non-Chromium browser, such as Firefox, and let us know if you see the same inconsistent behavior there?

Thanks again!

• xiscosc
    xiscosc
    Community Member
    Options

No, it does not work either.

I switched my browser to Firefox (Android) and it works correctly (directly on the keyboard).

So I think the problem is the combination of Chrome (114.0.5735.147) and 1Password.

The only way to make it work in Chrome is to disable Autofill completely and enable it again, it works for 5 mins and then it stops working.

• Thanks for checking that @xiscosc.

As you mentioned it does seem that the issue might be an interaction between 1Password and Chrome or Chromium browsers. I've reported this to the development team so we can continue investigating.

Another option to try with Chrome is to force stop and restart then check for a change in behavior:
    I'd like to ask you to turn filling suggestions off then shut down and restart Chrome:
    1. Open device settings.
    2. Select Apps > Chrome.
    3. Tap Force stop.
    4. Open Recents (square button on the bottom row or a short swipe up on the home screen).
    5. If open, swipe up on the Chrome window to close Chrome.
    6. Re-open Chrome and test filling on a few sites.

• jkane001
    jkane001
    Community Member
    Options

I've noticed this too, but I've found a workaround that seems to work consistently (and might help troubleshoot): If you do anything that changes the focus of Chrome WRT the OS, then bring it back to focus, it works. What I mean by that: when you are on a form that isn't popping suggestions, go back to the launcher (phone's home screen) and then go back to the browser. Even just opening the recents view (on my Pixel, by swiping up from the bottom of the phone just slightly) and picking the browser again will do it.

It does seem that once 1Password is unlocked, it's more consistent for other sites on the first attempt, so it seems to be a combination of things happening, perhaps? Started (for me) a few weeks ago, but I just kept forgetting to mention it. I'm on version 8.10.9 (81008012), and I'm in the beta channel.

• niskala
    niskala
    Community Member
    Options

I've been having the same problem for the past few weeks, 1password 8.10.8 on android 13 pixel 6 using chrome. I can confirm that jkane001's workaround worked for me on nytimes.com, ponoko.com, and on 1password.community.

• Hi @jkane001, @niskala, thanks for following up with us here.

From our investigation into reports of this sort of behavior we believe it may be related to changes in Autofill that have caused a slight delay in the filling response, or that browsers that rely on Autofill compatibility are not restarting the Autofill service in some cases once it is stopped.

After switching focus and returning to a sign in field as Jkane001 suggested, some of the Autofill data is preloaded which could be enough to prevent the Autofill call from timing out and being cancelled by the system. If that's the case, reducing what's loaded by disabling Autofill suggestions from Settings > Autofill may also help.

We've also heard reports of improved behavior in browsers that do not use Autofill compatibility such as Firefox or DuckDuckGo. Switching to one of those browsers for the time being may help with consistent filling as well.

Let us know if you have any questions or if we can help with anything.

This discussion has been closed.