Could you implement an email alias generator?

Options
Mork
Mork
Community Member
edited June 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

I use 1Password, but recently have discovered a neat feature in ProtonMail's password manager: the ability to create AND manage email aliases with an account creation. Currently, with 1P, I have to manually create an email alias separately and use that (which means I have to use an expensive server that supports that).
With "ProtonPass", IT creates, forwards, etc., the email alias for me.
Can you implement that email feature soon?

Thanks,

1Password Version: 8.10.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 13.4.1
Browser: FireFox

Comments

• Hey @Mork,

Thank you for taking the time to suggest ways in which we can improve 1Password.

I can definitely see how adding this functionality would be beneficial to you. I have put in a request with our product team for consideration in a future update.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all.

ref: PB34031586

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

1Password already offers this, but only for Fastmail:

https://1password.com/fastmail/

• Mork
    Mork
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

This is the first time I've ever seen a new feature that I view as crucial. Identity Management via email aliases built in to the password manager is going to be so useful, I may (sorry to say) switch to NordPass. They have a $1/month, forever, promo going on through the end of July 2023. I will be further evaluating their product.

I understand that 1Password may never have this feature or it may be months or years before it's even considered. Thus, if you have specific timelines to implement this feature, I would need to know those. Otherwise, I would just consider this request one more on your request stack with an unknown priority (again, possibly never implemented).

Thanks,

• Hey @Mork,

As @XIII has suggested we currently only support Fastmail for masked email but I agree that it would be great to expand this to other providers.

I have added this additional feedback onto the request that I have filed on your behalf by which the team will prioritise accordingly. I'm sorry that I can't provide any more information at this point.

Thank you for your understanding.

• Mork
    Mork
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

(Who uses Fastmail??? LOL)

I think you would need to implement your own email alias system for that like it appears Proton Pass has done. That way, it would work with any email since you control the alias. As I understand how this would work, you wouldn't need to expand to "other providers" if you handled the alias mapping internally at 1P.

In any case, it looks like I'll need to either use both email services (1P and NordPass) or switch to Proton Pass completely.

This identity management, now that I see it, is simply too important a feature to pass on.

Thanks,

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Who uses Fastmail?

I do. Excellent product/service!

if you handled the alias mapping internally at 1P

Do you mean that 1Password then gets your email and forwards it to you(r mail provider)?

Seems like a serious privacy/security issue to me.

Using an authenticated API like Fastmail offers seems much better to me.

• Mork
    Mork
    Community Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

FastMail won't work for me at all.

Check out Proton Pass' implementation and I don't think you will be concerned about security/privacy -- much less so than with FastMail.

So, if you search for "FastMail Privacy Issues", I believe you'll be surprised. I can't believe 1Password uses this service.

For example: https://restoreprivacy.com/email/reviews/fastmail/

Thanks,

• Mork
    Mork
    Community Member
    Options

Compare the security of FastMail security to:

https://proton.me/blog/proton-pass-security-model

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

Ah, Proton uses SimpleLogin (like 1Password uses Fastmail):

https://proton.me/support/pass-email-alias

SimpleLogin provides an API to manage email aliases, so 1Password could indeed implement this as well, if they want:

https://github.com/simple-login/app/blob/master/docs/api.md

PS: I think this is SimpleLogin only; not any provider?

• Mork
    Mork
    Community Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

Perhaps both solutions for aliases are equally flawed from a security standpoint. What I currently do is create an ALIAS (aka, "forwarder") on cPanel on my Linux server and that has worked well to weed out spammers. But since I really don't know what these third party services are doing in password managers, I (now) don't believe the email alias built into the password manager is that useful after all.

Enjoyed the conversation and your follow ups.

Thanks,

• lysander
    lysander
    Community Member
    Options

I use Apple's Hide My Email for every new account. Does not take much work and my email is not exposed to other vendors.

• Mork
    Mork
    Community Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

Right, but I don't want to be beholden to Apple with yet more paid services. :)

The method I use to create a forwarder in cPanel works fine I guess and doesn't have any additional privacy or cost issues.

I'll stick with 1Password as it's really the best overall. (Also, ... My questions to Proton support have gone unanswered.)

• lumpycustard
    lumpycustard
    Community Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

Adding my vote to this request.

• Dave_1P
    edited December 2023
    Options

Thank you for the feedback everyone. I've passed your comments and requests along to our product team. 😊

-Dave

ref: PB-37489750
    ref: PB-37489811

• da411d
    da411d
    Community Member
    Options

How about anondaddy, including the selfhosted one?

• dpeR345WCBtgH
    dpeR345WCBtgH
    Community Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

fastmail isn't an email forwarding service like protonpass (simplelogin.io)

fastmail is an actual email service labelled as privacy, however they collect a ton of information, located in the Australia, and does not encrypt your email. I know location doesn't really matter in the end when there's a warrant.

I think what OP needs to do is buy a domain and link it on CloudFlare. Click email and follow the steps. Enable catch-all and then you do not have to create any accounts. It just forwards to wherever you set it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT9MiUDtk4E
    Just remember to set that catch-all. This doesn't remove trackers.

DuckDuckGo also does email forwarding and removed trackers. It's free, but there's no way to track your alias addresses and who knows what would happen if they shut it down.

"I use Apple's Hide My Email for every new account. Does not take much work and my email is not exposed to other vendors."
    I thought they only allowed 3? I just registered my own domain and will use Skiff.

• @da411d

Thank you for the suggestion, I've passed your request along to the team. 🙂

@dpeR345WCBtgH

Thank you for sharing the Youtube video and your suggestions with the community.

-Dave

ref: PB-37825693