1 time password error

Options
chris000
chris000
Community Member
edited July 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi, I recently started using 1Password's 1 time password feature for 2FA on my online accounts. Unfortunately, the one time 6 digit code has come back as invalid upon login for multiple accounts (Facebook, Amazon and others). It worked the same day after setting it up, however a few days later the error started. Unfortunately I was permenantly locked out of one of the accounts. I switched to a different authentication app, and never had an issue since. Wondering if anyone else had the same problem?

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

Make sure the time on the device you're creating the 6 digit codes is correct. It must not be wrong for more than a few seconds, because the generated OTP is time dependent. For example, if your time is 1 minute in the past, you're generating OTPs for that past minute, which is expired, not for the current time.

• chris000
    chris000
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for that. I tried on multiple devices, all with the times synchronized with the correct time, but it's still coming back invalid. Oddly enough, it does work for a limited number of my accounts using the same devices.

• steph.giles
    edited July 2023
    Options

Hey @chris000,

I'm sorry for the trouble you are having with filling 2FA codes. As @Tertius3 has suggested, in order for 2FA to work, both the website and your device need to generate the same exact 2FA code at the same time. If the website generates one that is different than yours, you will get an error that your code is incorrect.

2FA is highly reliant on your device's clock so my first suggestion would be to check the computer's clock and make sure it is as accurate as it can be, you can check with this website: https://time.is/.

Next can you provide me with examples of websites where 2FA is working as expected and where it isn't so I can do some testing? Did you take the same steps on both of these sites to scan the QR code to add 2FA?

Any detail would be most useful, I look forward to hearing from you.

• chris000
    chris000
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, thanks for your response. I did a time check and it came back exactly right. Example sites it works as expected are: Twitter and Microsoft. Examples of sites they don't work are: Amazon and Facebook. It worked immediately after I setup 2FA, but several days later is when the error started to occur.

Yes, I took the exact same steps on all these sites when adding 2FA, which is why I thought the error was strange.

If we can't get it working, it's not a big deal, I can always setup up alternate methods of 2FA instead. Just thought I would check to see if there were any known issues.

Thanks,
    Chris

• Hey @chris000,

Thank you for getting back to me, the behaviour definitely seems strange and I'd like to continue troubleshooting with you to get things working seamlessly.

When you say you are seeing an error, is this simply the error from the website saying the code is invalid or is it a different error? If so could you grab a screenshot of it for us?

In addition, can you take a screenshot of one of the items where 2FA is failing so we can take a look at how the item is set up.

Please attach the screenshots to an email addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread being mindful to hide any personal information before doing so.

Our team will be able to further assist you here. You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• chris000
    chris000
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Steph,

Thanks for that. I have everything done as requested. The ID number is #FEE-96626-812.

If you can easily help me regain access to these accounts - great! But no need to go out of your way. It's not the end of the world. :)

Thanks,
    Chris

• Thank you @chris000, let's continue troubleshooting over email.

ref: FEE-96626-812

This discussion has been closed.