A category is listed in the sidebar even if there are no items in that category

Options
LarryMcJ
LarryMcJ
Community Member
edited September 2023 in iOS

I realize the following issue must be either by design or an Electron limitation. But can you tell if it’s something you’re trying to fix, or do I need to accept it and move on?

If I have no entries in a category, it (rightfully) isn’t listed on the categories drop-down list. But if I add even one item to that category and then remove the item, that category remains in the drop-down forever, even though it’s empty.

For me, this is a terrible UX issue. I’m not holding out much hope for a resolution, but wanted to ask.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• GreyM1P
    Options

Hi there @LarryMcJ

Short answer – it's a bug, and our Development team are looking into it. We've heard from customers that signing out of 1Password, quitting the app completely, then opening it and signing in again will purge those empty categories, so you can give that a go if you like, and let me know how it goes.

I saw you mentioned:

an Electron limitation

We only use Electron for the desktop apps on macOS, Windows, and Linux, so won't be a factor on iOS.

I hope that helps. I'll be here if you need anything. :)

— Grey

ref: dev/core/core#13984

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @GreyM1P – Thinking back, I must have needed another cup of coffee, as I know Electron isn't used in iOS...doh! 🤪 I guess in my mind, I was just looking for a culprit. Thanks, again!

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

@GreyM1P – NNTR, just wanted to let you know that signing out and then signing in didn't resolve this for me. I'm sure it's not a high-priority bug, but it will eventually get fixed.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@LarryMcJ

I'm sorry that the workaround didn't work. Our developers are investigating the issue and hope to get it fixed as soon as possible.

-Dave

• @LarryMcJ

1Password for iOS version 8.10.16 now includes a fix for the issue that showed some categories in the sidebar even when you don’t have items in those categories.

You can find instructions on how to update here: How to keep 1Password up to date

Thank you again for reporting the issue. 🙂

-Dave

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! It also fixed the known bug where tapping on a login displayed a blank screen (even though it wasn’t listed in the release notes)

• I'm happy that you're no longer running into the other issue as well. 🙂

-Dave

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

🙂

• Thanks again for reporting the issue. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.