Passkey support/options

Options
r8ders2k
r8ders2k
Community Member

Maybe I'm missing something...(?) I see in 1Password 8 (8.10.9) on my M2 Pro Mac mini and 1Password for iOS 8.10.9 on my iPhone 14 Pro Max that Passkey available for my Google/Gmail accounts, but I'm not seeing it in 1Password for Safari or Chrome. So, on my Mac, I click Use passkey and it takes me to Google and I'm able to create a passkey, but for specifically for Google, not 1Password, and it's stored in my iCloud Keychain. I deleted by passkey and tried on my iPhone, but I'm not seeing the option to use 1Password. Am I little too early? I even tried select other device, got the QR code, but 1Password on my Mac couldn't detect it. I liked the previous method of dragging the "QR scanner window" to the QR code to be scanned on a Mac.

1Password Version: 8.10.9
Extension Version: 2.12.0
OS Version: macOS
Browser: Chrome

Comments

• GreyM1P
    Options

Hey there @r8ders2k

You'll need to be using both the beta version of both the main 1Password app and the browser extension for Chrome to try passkeys.

Instructions on how to install the beta of 1Password in the browser are here: Use 1Password beta releases.

Give that a try and let me know how you get on. :)

— Grey

• r8ders2k
    r8ders2k
    Community Member
    Options

@GreyM1P Thanks, that did it. Created Passkeys for my Google/Gmail accounts in Safari and with 1Password!

• GreyM1P
    Options

@r8ders2k – Great! Let us know if you need any help at any time and we'll be here. :)

• r8ders2k
    r8ders2k
    Community Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

Here's an update... I tried setting up a Passkey for Best Buy on both my iPhone 14 Pro Max and my M2 Pro Mac mini and I'm not seeing an option to use another device like I did with Gmail and Chrome. With iOS Chrome, when I click on Sign In with a Passkey, it takes me to the option to use, iPhone, iPad, or Android device or Security key and when I select either, it takes me to Passwords' Password Options. Both 1Password is selected for "

USE PASSWORDS AND PASSKEYS FROM:" and "SET UP VERIFICATION CODES USING:"

after that, nothing happens and I can't do anything else.

And on my Mac, pretty much the same thing.

BUT (!), I went into the Best Buy's Account settings (was using Safari) and clicked on "Passkey (Face or Fingerprint Sign-In)", 1Password shows up and the passkey was saved/updating my existing 1Password login for Best Buy. Go figure.

• r8ders2k
    r8ders2k
    Community Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

WOW, eBay was even easier! Went to log in (Safari) and eBay asked if I to use my Face/fingerprint/PIN (Touch ID) to sign in. I selected in the affirmative and 1Password immediately asked to update my existing login. That's it. Passkey was added to my existing login.

• I found the eBay setup was pretty smooth when I completed my passkey for my personal account.

This discussion has been closed.