Default Password vault does not always work when automatically creating new items.

Options
beijder
beijder
Community Member
edited July 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

When creating a new password entry automatically, when creating a new account on a website, even though I set the default Vault to save new entries into to the Shared one, (instead of the Private Vault), it often get's created into the Private vault and will not be available to the other Family members.

It took a long time to get the "Default Vault" selection into the 1Password settings, but now it is, it often fails to work properly. I have set this value into the App and also into the browser settings on all Family member preference settings...

As we ONLY use ONE database for the Family a definitive solution would be to delete the Private Vaults on all user accounts, but this is not possible. When you try to delete the Private vault you get an error message telling you that you can't delete this base folder...

Why can't we delete the Private vault? This is causing a lot of frustrations and makes the use in a Family environment quite cumbersome as long as the settings are not working correctly under all circumstances...

1Password Version: 8.10.8
Extension Version: 81008045
OS Version: MacOS Ventura 13.4.1
Browser: Chrome 114.0.5735.198

Comments

• pinskerj
    pinskerj
    Community Member
    Options

Agree this happens to me all the time too at least on the mac. Family members don’t understand this whole private vault thing. It’s makes using 1password 8 impossible. 7 never had this problem. Set it once and forget about it. Family admins should be able to delete private vaults from family member accounts.

• ag_tommy
    edited July 2023
    Options

@beijder

Do you have the saving vault set for 1Password in the browser? It does not follow the setting for 1Password for Mac. The setting within 1Password for Mac would only apply to manually create items using the Desktop client. Try adjusting the 1Password in the browser setting. I would check to make sure it has not changed. Did a family member alter it or is this a personal device for you?

1. Right-click on the browser toolbar icon.
    2. In General set the save vault.

• beijder
    beijder
    Community Member
    Options

@pinskerj exactly. It should have been made possible to delete this folder.

@ag_tommy Yep, I noticed that even the webbrowser version has it's own configuration. This is annoying as everybody needs to explicitly configure this. Sometimes after a browser update the configuration is defaulted back to the start settings! 1Password should investigate to make the configuration so that it is connected to the user account and works on all versions/platforms! That would make life so much easier! Especially for the family "admins"... ;-)))

• @beijder

Sometimes after a browser update the configuration is defaulted back to the start settings!

Do you recall any specifics? I don't recall this happening but I reset my setting so often troubleshooting for users I might not notice it as much as you might.

I'll get a feature request filed for you to be able to remove the default vault. I'm not sure if it will be possible. But I can let the team know this is an important consideration for you.

• beijder
    beijder
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy

Thanks ag_tommy...
    If I would have this issue myself only then this would not be such an issue.
    But using 1Password for our family with all "major important" shared entries, as being the family's "admin" it's becoming an issue when every now and then shared entries seemed to disappear and got stuck in the Private vault.

We noticed that when a major update of Chrome was done on our macbooks sometimes the configs seemed to be lost and had to be re-set. Mainly when the plugin got re-installed. And sometimes I got the message that a deletion of all history and cached items had the same result.
    I have not had this myself yet though.

I tried to explain the functionality of the Private vault but nobody seemed to use this as all entries should be shared in the family vault. I can imagine in a more professional environment a private vault would make more sense. In a family situation a private vault is probably less obvious...

• @beijder

I understand my friend. I was in much the same situation until my teen and adult kids learned more about 1Password. If it was a full removal and reinstall of 1Password in the browser I would anticipate the reset of the settings. The full deletion of history I have not heard of. You mentioned Chrome. I gave it a try and resetting my history did not change my settings. If you encounter this again can you record the steps taken and let us know?

I'll file a feature request on your behalf to remove the individual vaults using only a common vault. Thank you for replying. I appreciate it.

• beijder
    beijder
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy

Thanks for the info and actions.
    I will keep an eye on this and report back when one of our family members or myself
    run into this specific issue again. I have now informed everybody to also check every now
    and then if an item remains in the Private Vault and move it to the Shared vault.

Thanks again and have a nice weekend!

Guido Beijderwellen

• You're most welcome.

ref: PB-34378607

This discussion has been closed.