Problem with auto-fill

Options

Loyal 1Password customer since 2012. Many thanks for the great product in the last decade.

I just upgraded to 1Password 8 from 1Password 7.

I have the following issue with auto-fill in multiple browsers. When I try to auto-fill from the keyboard with Command \, I receive the message "1Password can't verify that [BrowserName] should have access to your [ITEM] item. Do you want to fill it anyway?". The options are "Fill Once," "Fill & Update Login," and "Cancel." The "Fill Once" and "Fill & Update Login" options do not work.

I am on MacOS Version 13.4 (22F66), and I have the same issue with Opera, Safari, Firefox, and Chrome (all with most recent version) !!! I saw the problem in many closed discussions in 2022 (e.g. https://1password.community/discussion/comment/653947#Comment_653947) but still without resolution after a year. I will certainly not try beta versions, as suggested.

What is the status as of July 2023? My workflow is completely disrupted, and 1Password is essentially useless in this current state. I allow myself to share my disappointment, since version 7 worked perfectly fine. Without resolution, I will have to revert back to version 7, or more likely since it is no longer supported, switch to a different product.

1Password Version: 8.10.8
Extension Version: 2.12
OS Version: MacOS Version 13.4 (22F66)
Browser: Opera, Chrome, Safari, Firefox

Comments

• @huguesm

Do your logins have URLs associated/added to your logins? Are they correct for the site visited? Off-hand it sounds like the URL may not be present in the login item.

• huguesm
    huguesm
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply. I tried with multiple correct logins, on multiple browsers, to no avail. They all worked perfectly fine with 1Password 7.

• @huguesm

Odd. Let's get you over to email support. The team may want to dig a little deeper. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your device and submit it.

1. Open 1Password.
    2. Press command and comma. The 1Password preferences will open.
    3. Tap Advanced.
    4. Click Send Diagnostics.
    5. Click Reveal to locate the report in your downloads folder.

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

• Your forum username: huguesm
    • A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/141343/problem-with-auto-fill#latest

• Please do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• Invisibit
    Invisibit
    Community Member
    Options

I can confirm - I just signed up as a new user today and I am running into this roadblock. I prefer that my logins don't automatically fill and that I use a shortcut to fill instead. When using command + \ with the desktop app + firefox (and 1P extension), I get the same error.

• Hey @Invisibit,

Can you let me know the steps you are taking when you see this message? Are you on a specific website when hitting CMD + \ ? Does this happen with all items?

• Invisibit
    Invisibit
    Community Member
    Options

Once the message pops up I don’t do anything as this isn’t the behavior I expected using browser autofill. I tried three different sites with their own credentials with no luck. I also verified that the url for each item is accurate (e.g. https://adguard.com/).

• Invisibit
    Invisibit
    Community Member
    Options

Attempting again tonight, sitting at the Adguard login page (https://my.adguard.com/en/account/auth), I hit cmd + \ and quick access keeps popping up. My item in 1Password has that exact URL in the 'website' field. This same exact issue happens with Ally.

1Password Version: 8.10.8
    Extension Version: 2.11.0
    OS Version: MacOS Version 13.4.1
    Browser: Firefox

• huguesm
    huguesm
    Community Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, but I am not interested to be part of a debugging effort to migrate from a product that has worked perfectly for 10 years. I canceled my online subscription, deleted the software and switched to a different product.

• Thank you for getting back to me @Invisibit. I am only able to replicate this behaviour if I use CMD + \ and try to autofill credentials that do not match the current page I am on.

As an example, can I ask you to take a screenshot of your Adguard item and send it over in an email so our team can take a closer look and try to replicate the behaviour? Please be mindful to hide any personal information and attach it to an email addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

Thank you in advance!

• Invisibit
    Invisibit
    Community Member
    Options

@steph.giles

For anyone who stumbles across this and is having the same issue I am, I figured out the solution (for my case):

I tinkered all weekend trying to find a solution and finally figured out what the problem is. Using Arkenfox (which is a set of custom settings applied to Firefox for added security/privacy) actually breaks this functionality intentionally. Specifically, the following setting is turned on using the custom config to disable accessibility services:

/* 2601: prevent accessibility services from accessing your browser
    * [1] https://support.mozilla.org/kb/accessibility-services ***/
    user_pref("accessibility.force_disabled", 1);

I found that this setting (disabling accessibility by setting the value to '1') prevented autofill from working. After switching the value back to '0' (as is default in Firefox), autofill began to work again.

Hopefully this can help anyone else who may run into this in the future.

• Thank you so much for sharing this insight @Invisibit, I'm glad you were able to get things back on track.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all.

This discussion has been closed.