[Feature Request] iOS app: item viewer UI: 2FA banner shows a button to let me “Enter secret key”

Options
waderlamprey
waderlamprey
Community Member
  1. Launch 1Password iOS app.
  2. Open the item viewer for a specific saved Login item (e.g. LinkedIn.com).
  3. Because the website of the saved Login item supports app-based 2FA, and I don’t already have 2FA configured in that Login item, the item viewer UI displays a Two-factor authentication banner.
  4. Expand the 2FA banner.

Today:
2FA banner shows two buttons: “Scan QR code” and “Ignore”.

Feature request:
Add a 3rd button: Enter secret key. Clicking this button would take me to the existing Add “One-time password” flow in the item editor UI, where I can enter my secret key and then click “Save” to save my app-based 2FA details for this Login item.

Rationale:

• When I’m using the iOS app, I’m almost always browsing the web on the same phone too, so I can’t use the camera to scan a QR code on my own phone screen.
  • There are apps (e.g. Robinhood, possibly outdated example) that only release native iOS and Android apps, and have no plans to release web apps, desktop apps, or public web APIs. Thus, these apps can only be run on mobile phones, and more than likely, on the same mobile phone that is currently running the password manager. The “Scan QR code” feature would only be usable for these apps when using multiple mobile devices at the same time.
  • Some apps, like LinkedIn, only support secret keys, not QR codes.

The 2FA banner is a delightful and clever UI affordance. I hope you will consider my feature request so that it serves even more of my use cases.

Thank you as always to the entire 1Password team for your continued hard work providing such a great tool, making the web safer and more usable!

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited July 2023
    Options

@waderlamprey

I can see how a 3rd button would be helpful in this situation. I'll pass your suggestion along to the product team. Thank you for sharing and for those very kind words. ❤️

ref: PB-34377255

This discussion has been closed.