1Password on MacOS Sonoma nightly Beta and Edge & Safari extensions, stops asking for touchID

Options

The Safari extension has stopped asking for touch id when clicking on the 1Password in either Safari tap or the auto-fill button, so you have to manually enter the password. It does sometimes work (but only after a reboot, or randomly if you restart both 1Password and Safari - but not always).

It looks like it loses connection with the 1Password app as if you unlock the app from the menubar, the browser extension still thinks its unlocked.

Also, when clicking on the 1Password browser button, it sometimes will pop up the login screen with a spinner that sometimes sits there for up to 30 seconds before something times out and it prompts for the password.

Is this a known issue or something I can fix?

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.10 (81010013)
Extension Version: 1Password in the browser 2.13.0 21300009, on STABL
OS Version: 14.0 Beta (23A5301g)
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Hey @AndyQ,

You're right it sounds like 1Password in your browser is having a hard time connecting with your 1Password app. I'd like to ask you to send over a console log from your browser as well as a diagnostics report so we can take a closer look at what may be happening:

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• AndyQ
    AndyQ
    Community Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

Hi,

I've already submitted a diagnostics report (mentioned in this thread - https://1password.community/discussion/137781/safari-extension-and-touch-id-no-longer-play-together#latest)

I've also just re-submitted a new diagnostics report which includes the console log too.

I haven't yet received a support id number though (will post it here when I receive it)

• Thank you @AndyQ, our team will be in touch soon.

• mirv
    mirv
    Community Member
    Options

This is also happening for me with Sonoma Beta 4 and Safari. I have "Require Password: Never" set. When this problem happens, and it always happens after downloading and starting the new 1Password nightly every day, subsequent logins always make the 1P browser extension ask for the password again. There is at least one way to get it to start working again as normal: go to Safari settings-extensions and uncheck 1Password and check it again. Then reload the browser page with your login form. At that point you can click the 1P toolbar icon and without entering the pw again it will bring up the inline password menu and allow autofill.

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.12 (81012003) on NIGHTLY Channel
    Extension Version: 1Password in the browser 2.12.0
    OS Version: 14.0 Beta (23A5301g)
    Browser: Safari

• mirv
    mirv
    Community Member
    Options

Actually I just noticed that the 1P Safari extension version 2.14.1 is available via TestFlight. I just updated to that and I believe that may have fixed it. Stay tuned.

• mirv
    mirv
    Community Member
    Options

There is still something flakey going on here. The 1Password toolbar icon on Safari shows that it is locked, and clicking on it requires my vault password, despite setting "Require Password: Never" in 1Password's settings. As I said above, this always happens when downloading and installing each day's nightly 1Password build. But it also seems to happen randomly throughout the day.

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.12 (81012016) on NIGHTLY Channel
    Extension Version: 1Password in the browser 2.14.1
    OS Version: 14.0 Beta (23A5301h)
    Browser: Safari 17.0 (19616.1.24.11.3)

• Hey @mirv,

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

It sounds like the updates may be breaking the connection between 1Password and your browser.

If you restart both Safari and 1Password by right clicking the icons in your dock and choosing Quit and then re open them do things then work as expected?

• mirv
    mirv
    Community Member
    Options

Yes that does seem to make it reconnect and work again. As I said above, disabling and re-enabling the 1P extension in Safari's settings does it too. Note that the problem seems to be intermittent. Just now I updated 1Password and then waited a long time before trying to log in to a web site, and it worked.

• mirv
    mirv
    Community Member
    Options

Today when the Macbook Pro first woke up and I tried logging in to a site, there was a message about something went wrong with a Reload 1Password button. I had never seen that message before. Clicking that sort of made it work - the toolbar 1P icon allowed autofill, but I still am not getting inline pull down menu in login fields.

• EricE
    EricE
    Community Member
    Options

Same here. Hopefully they release an update soon.

• Hey @mirv, @EricE,

I'm sorry for the trouble, can you send over the logs as requested here so we can take a closer look?

Please attach the reports to an email to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.