Do invited family members have to have the 1Password software on their devices?

Options
johnro5243
johnro5243
Community Member

I have two family members whom I want to be able to see my 1PW vault ... not change, not add their own vault ... just look at my vault. Do they need to have the 1PW software on their device(s)? If so, which one?

1Password Version: 8.10.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 12.6.8
Browser: Safari

Comments

• GreyM1P
    Options

Hi there @johnro5243

Your family members can install any of our apps (for Mac, iOS, Windows, Android, and Linux), all of which are linked from here:

Get the 1Password apps

If they'll only use a desktop computer to look at your vaults, they can install 1Password in the browser.

Get 1Password for your browser

Alternatively, if they don't want to install anything at all, they can sign in to 1Password.com in their browser of choice.

Hope that helps! :)

— Grey

• johnro5243
    johnro5243
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. So, somewhat confusing, I have two 1Password apps on my desktop. I runs lie a regular program (I see it on the toppling menu) and one must be for Safari and the IOS apps? Do I need both?

• @johnro5243

If you see both "1Password" and "1Password for Safari" in the Applications folder on your Mac, then that's expected. 1Password for Safari is what provides the 1Password menu in the toolbar of Safari, shown here:

If you're using another browser, you won't see anything extra in the Applications folder like you do for Safari.

Hopefully that describes what's going on in your case, but if not, let me know, including a screenshot of what you're seeing if it helps. 🔍👀 Check that no personal information such as your name, any usernames or passwords, your credit card number, Secret Key or account password are visible.️

• johnro5243
    johnro5243
    Community Member
    Options

That was a perfect, clear explanation. Thank you

• johnro5243
    johnro5243
    Community Member
    Options

But . . . as often happens, one favor done gets a request for another: I have used 1Password on my Mac Air for a couple of years. Over that time, I have a lot of duplicates ... some cam when I rolled over from LastPass, some because of 1PW's annoying habit of making a new entry often (probably my fault, but annoying, nonetheless). I have a family plan, though I've not yet integrated my wife's LastPass. I have a fair number of non-password entries (credit cards, notes and so on). 1Password verifies that there's no 'remove duplicates' capability with 1PW. 1PW support agrees that the best way to curate my current file is to export to CSV and work on it offline. The norma process would be: export to CSV - curate - bulk erase the existing material (how? a new copy of 1PW?) - import the curated file. But the export to CSV does not include the non-PW entries. Have you found a good way to work off line to remove PW duplicates, then put them back into 1PW without deleting everything, including all the non PW stuff first?

This discussion has been closed.