2-step authentication is not working - how to turn off if cannot log into 1Password.com ???

Options

I have emailed support twice and they do not seem to understand that I cannot log into
1Password.com (due to 2-step not working), so I am not able to log in and turn off 2-step.

I have my logon, my password and my Secret Key, but not the 2-step, is there anyway to save my account?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• LC356
    LC356
    Community Member
    Options

1Password Version: 8.10.9
    Extension Version: not relevant to my question
    OS Version: Windows 10
    Browser: Chrome

• LC356
    LC356
    Community Member
    Options

Well good news, I found the correct authenticator app (I forgot that I had more than one authenticator app on my phone) and was able to login and turn off 2-step authentication.
    It seems that if the 2-step authentication is turned on and your computer dies that you are in trouble as the login, password, and secrete key are not enough to access your account...

• @LC356

I'm glad to hear you could find the needed authenticator app.

If your computer contains the needed application for 2FA and that computer is off then you are correct you would be unable to add 1Password to a new device or login to your account on 1Password.com. Once you complete the initial linking on your device 2FA is no longer used. So unless you signed out completely you should be able to access your data as needed in that situation.

• LC356
    LC356
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks ag_tommy

I was under the impression that with the 1Password emergency kit
    (showing the password and secrete key) that that would be sufficient.
    Now I know better. Still, when turning on the 2-step authorization
    there should be an alert letting the user know that to be able to access their account, they need the Emergency Kit and the correct authenticator
    (along with the correct email address used by the authenticator).

So I am very glad that I was able to login and turn off the 2-step authenticator.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

Print the QR code you got for 1Password mfa and add it to your emergency kit, so you can always scan it again in case you need to initialize a new authenticator app on a new device. You can safely store all your mfa codes inside 1Password, but the 1Password mfa code is the only one you additionally need to keep somewhere outside of 1Password to avoid a circular dependency.

• LC356
    LC356
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Tertius3, thank you for your helpful solution, I've added it to my login notes.
    Later on when I am feeling braver, I'll turn 2-step authorization back on and follow your instructions.

• Thanks for your input @Tertius3.

Are you still having difficulty @LC356? Let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all.

This discussion has been closed.