Smart Password is being rejected on hdfcbank.com

Options
vishalsheth
vishalsheth
Community Member
edited August 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

When I use the suggested password by 1password then it updates before it is actually changed. This cannot be the case as I have come across places when the new password has not been accepted and then I have to hunt for the previous password. Once the site displays password changed or successful or anything which confirmed then only it should get updated.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P
    I'm locked out of my account due to wrong password suggestion given by 1password.
    Also your password suggestion depending on the site is useless as I took the suggestion and saved it and it gave me error that my password is wrong. Now I'm locked out.

• @vishalsheth

I'm sorry to hear that the generated password was rejected by the website that you're using. 1Password's Smart Password Generator tries to use password rules that will be accepted in most places using a combination of: internal rules and defaults, what individual websites configure in their passwordrules HTML attribute, and as a list of known password requirements for various websites compiled by our friends at Apple.

If you need to find a previous password to login to a service then you can do so by following these steps:

1. Open and unlock the 1Password app.
    2. Click on the item in question.
    3. Hover over the password field and click on the down arrow that appears.
    4. Click View password history.

Use the previous password to login to your account. Then, you can use the custom password generator to create a new password that matches the website's requirements: Create a custom password

Are you able to share the address of the website where you encountered this issue? I can file an issue to have our password generation recipe updated.

-Dave

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member
    Options

I was informed the same earlier but there’s something missing. This is for https://www.hdfcbank.com/.

@Dave_1P

I tried get the password but it didn’t work. It has worked in the past.
    But the basic logic says that a password is changed only once the website or service says it’s successful. With this logic why would you allow saving the password before confirmation? If for any reason the website says otherwise that newly created password should not get saved or not even sore in the list of generated passwords. I’m not interested in keeping a track of wrongly generated passwords.
    The same has also been discussed in the past. Same details were shared by you but still this proves that your software doesn’t check the site details.

Unfortunately, 1Password is losing ground. It’s not the same as it was earlier. You can see with 1pw8 there has been too many issues compared to 1pw7. Are you guys not interested anymore or you think you’re not replaceable? This is something that you surely should look into. So many issues are such that you people need more than 2 years of beta testing? Sine factor is missing from the company or the initiative it had earlier.

• Hey @vishalsheth,

I apologise for the delay in getting back to you.

1Password prompts you to save the password prior to submitting the form incase of scenarios like the one you bumped into whereby the password isn't accepted by the website so you can generate and save a new password before it is saved by the website.

To save a Login item after successfully signing in requires a few things. To name one in particular, this would require arbitrarily capturing and maintaining data you've entered into fields as well as all the details of the page in the background, assuming you might want to save a login, as you navigate websites.

With that, currently the most efficient and least invasive way to ensure your Login items are secured by 1Password with all of the correct data is by offering to save a new item from within the fields being saved themselves. I understand that this may not seem like the most convenient method, we are always working to make improvements with your security being the main priority.

If you have any suggestions, I'd be happy to pass on your feedback to our product team for consideration in future updates. In addition, I'd be happy to discuss any of the issues you mention and flag these with the team.

I look forward to hearing from you.

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member
    Options

@steph.giles

It looks like you didn't get me. When I'm on password change option, it asks for old password, then asks to enter new password. Here 1pwd suggests the password and I accept it. At this stage it pops up to save the new password in 1pwd. I click save. Now I say save on website. Now it's rejected. This is the stage for which I'm talking about. Once website says successful or similar then it should be actually updated in 1pwd.
    @Dave_1P
    Going through the history doesn't always work. Even after selecting it says the old password is wrong.

So to make it convenient it's better the save apps after the change success. Safari is going the same thing. I think google is also going the same.

• ag_tommy
    edited August 2023
    Options

@vishalsheth

I'll make a request for the save to occur after the submission with the product team. Thanks for providing the details. That will help while making the request.

ref: PB-34950594

This discussion has been closed.