How can I find out who owns (can manage access to) a shared 1P for Teams vault?

Options

I recently started a new job, and I was ecstatic to learn that we use 1Password for Teams!

When I started, I was given access to a shared vault for my team. I don't know who gave me access. I'm now being asked if I can give access to said vault to another employee. I don't seem to have Manage Access permissions on this vault.

How can I find out who has this access? I'm using 1P8 on a Mac, and I've also looked for this in the web client.

1Password Version: 8.10.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 13.4.1
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @jakerobb, I'll be happy to assist. 👋

From what you've written, it sounds like you're a team member in your company's 1Password account, and you don't have manage permissions for the shared vault in question. In this case, I recommend checking the original invitation email you received from 1Password, to see if the person who invited you is displayed there; this person will likely be an owner or administrator, someone capable of managing vaults. You can then contact them internally to ask for help with the vault sharing situation.

If you run into any obstacles with the above, feel free to send us an email to businesssupport@1password.com so we can help troubleshoot further privately. You can share the ticket ID you receive and post it here so we can connect the dots.

• jakerobb
    jakerobb
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, so to be clear, there’s not a way to see who can manage the vault from within the app or webapp?

In that case, please consider this a feature request.

Alternatively, make it so that I can request manage access, which would then notify the right people and allow them to approve/reject my request.

Or, make it so that non-managers can share the vault, but that action results in the managers being asked to approve.

• Hello @jakerobb,

Okay, so to be clear, there’s not a way to see who can manage the vault from within the app or webapp?

That's correct.

In that case, please consider this a feature request.

Alternatively, make it so that I can request manage access, which would then notify the right people and allow them to approve/reject my request.

Or, make it so that non-managers can share the vault, but that action results in the managers being asked to approve.

I'll share your feedback with the team for their consideration. Thank you for contributing to 1Password’s evolution.

Cheers,

• jakerobb
    jakerobb
    Community Member
    Options

A followup thought: if you choose to go with either of the alternatives (where something gets sent to the manager for sharing or approval), the UX for the user requesting the share should include something like "We've sent your request to [list of admins] for approval." That way, if my request goes unanswered for a couple days, I know who to nag. :)

• Good idea. Thanks for sharing that, @jakerobb.

This discussion has been closed.