Coming to 1Password from LastPass

Options
sdelvecchio
sdelvecchio
Community Member

Is there anyone coming from LastPass family? Has your family had difficulty with how the two platforms do things? How did you handle that to make it easier for them since it is a bit of a mind-shift?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

@sdelvecchio I'm not coming from Lastpass, however I do have a recommendation. People who migrate to 1Password sometimes try to continue their established workflow from the old application and get frustrated, if 1Password is difficult in some functions and workflow. There were posts where people insist on 1Password doing something exactly the same as Lastpass without realizing 1Password offers a different but no less efficient workflow.

So I recommend you forget about your old workflow and try to find the optimal flow within 1Password.

I'd like to suggest a very high level general workflow, in case your desktop PC/Laptop is the main IT device for you, with additional mobile devices such as phone and tablet:

• use the desktop app for importing, managing, sorting and bulk-editing of items
    • use tags for organizing your items. Tags appear as hierarchy or directory structure, if you add a slash in between: tag "cloud/google" for example.
    • use the browser plugin for autofill, but not for searching and editing items
    • use the 1password.com website only for account management and billing, but not for managing and editing items. It can work as fallback for editing on a PC you don't have the desktop app installed, but only as fallback.
    • use the 1Password mobile app on your mobile device for autofilling in the same spirit as you use the browser plugin. Mainly read only, because the desktop app is more comfortable to use with the big screen and keyboard on the PC/Laptop.

• for website login and autofill website credentials, use the browser favorites functionality to start browsing and website visiting. Don't (mis)use 1Password as favorites library. In case you navigate to a website that requires a login, the browser plugin automatically detects the login and offers autofill. You don't need to search.

• Hi @sdelvecchio,

While I'm not coming from LastPass, I've included to some handy links below to help with the transition:

Our Getting Started with 1Password articles
    Learn how to save, fill and change your passwords here
    Our YouTube channel with many informative videos
    A link to our Support Site where you can find endless info about any issue you can think of

I recommend making sure to save a copy of your Emergency Kit and take the time to record your account password on it to ensure you always have access to your account.

• Ant8
    Ant8
    Community Member
    Options

Like the OP, I've migrated from LastPass. I've still got my lastpass account - it expires in a couple of weeks time. I've been using 1Password for a few months now and just can't quite get to grips with it. It rarely autofills, although as far as I can see I've set it up correctly. It doesn't even seem to try to guess what a site might be - I might have the account and password in 1Password but it seems to lack intelligence on locating it. It's worse on my android phone - I've gradually changed the security options on the 1Password app so there's virtually no security at all, but always seem to have to go and open 1Password with either the full password or occasionally just the fingerprint when trying to log into an app. I'm finding it much harder than LP and am continually just giving up what I'm doing because life is too short to faff around.
    So I've been continuing to use LastPass unless I feel I have enough time to play around, again, with 1Password. Which has left me unsure whether I may have created a new password on Lastpass but not on 1Password. So I migrated from LP to 1P again, stupidly thinking the 1P would detect it already had the majority of them already, and now have so many duplicates!! And despite finding some instructions online about how to detect and delete duplicates in 1P (something about going to the help option on the top left of each vault) I cannot find the option to tidy these duplicates up. LP was so good at those kind of options.
    1P feels like a kind of murky soup to me, and I feel that I may have approached it the wrong way in assuming it would be as intuitive as LP was. I feel I have a steep learning curve. I can see that this product is extremely well reviewed so I must be missing something. And I think by migrating, I've just started off with a huge mess.
    Would you recommend that I just delete everything from 1Password and start again from scratch, learning as I go, and not import anything from LP? I might keep LP for another year and see if there's a way to login to sites/apps with LP but then save each one to 1P in a format that works for 1P. Because the format of what I've imported, although it looks correct when I look at each item, just doesn't seem to allow autofilling to work.
    I must admit I'm tempted to get rid of both and just use Google Password, as I don't need anything fancier than something that generates strong passwords, saves them securely and provides an excellent autofill function. I know 1P offers secure notes, and allows you to share passwords securely with others. But I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth wrestling with the poor (to me, because I'm baffled by it) usability functions of 1P for that?

• sdelvecchio
    sdelvecchio
    Community Member
    Options

@Ant8 Ive not had any of the problems your describing a d 1Pasword has worked flawlessly for me and auto-fills better that LP. I did however import all my passwords from LP from the get-go. From your description it sound like the app hasn't been given the correct rights to auto fill on every website. Definitely open a support case.

• Hi @Ant8,

The in-app importer should bring in all of the URLs for your items (provided the correct URL's are within LastPass). If you've instead used one of the web-based importers, it could be possible that your URLs didn’t come through correctly.

It sounds to me like one (or both) of the following:

• Your items don’t have the correct URLs saved in them, so they’re not seeing suggestions when signing in to websites.
    • You're using multiple password managers at once and they’re interfering with each other.

It’s tough to say whether deleting everything and re-importing would resolve anything without knowing more about how your items look, and whether or not you’ve correctly disabled LastPass and/or your browser’s built in password manager to make sure they aren’t interfering.

For that and other reasons, can you send us an email to support@1password.com/support+forum@agilebits.com from your account's registered email address so we can continue the conversation there.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

This discussion has been closed.